• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LogO Careers.

nrichards

Inactive
Reaction score
I know this question has been ask may times and in may ways, but what are the possible career paths of a LogO and what do they entail.  Further, when do you get to choose this.  What happens after you graduate from University (I know its vague, but after all the flutty dutty OPME courses) what is next? 

You'll do phase training that will qualify to be a platoon commander (probably now called DPxxx).  After this you'll get posted to unit, either field (Svc Bn), or Base, or Unit (Sqn).  Work there for a while and probably do few other courses related to admin or professional development (Presiding Officer, whatever ITC is now).  If your in an Admin/Fin position you will probably go on a FMAS course.
After some time there and promotion to Captain you could get posted to a Battalion/Regiment as the Quartermaster.  Othewise you can go to a project (NDHQ), staff job, J4/G4 staff.  From there on it is wide open.  There are positions in schools, company 2i/c in Svc Bn, etc.
The possible paths right off the bat are Supply, Transport, Admin/Fin.  I would hope that your degree would help dictate where you go, but my last platoon commander had a biochemistry degree...  To a large extent Log O's are plug and play especially at the junior level.
After a couple of years you can apply for a longer course that can take you into a speciality.  The only two that spring to mind are the Ammunition Technicial Officer and Movements Officer course.  Good jobs, but if you are looking for advancement the potential is limited if you want to stay in the field.  For example there is only one Col ATO working as an ATO.

One thing you will find you never stop taking courses in the military, they range from half a day to over a year.

D

Most career military courses are run at military schools so yes you can work in a school.

If it's a school that teaches Logistics (or All Arms) courses, then as a Log O you may be employed as an instructor or be the IC/2IC of one of the training coys/wings/pls.  Eventually you may be employed as the SI (Senior Instructor) or CO/DCO.

Other schools have Log Officers on strength as quartermasters.  In which case you would be part of the staff but not necessarily instructing.

Back