• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Manual Magazine Filling Tips?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, currently in reserve BMQ as an infantry officer. As we approach our weapons handling test, the only aspect that I am struggling with is the timed magazine filling. It requires for full marks that we complete a 30-round manual load in less than 55 seconds. Currently, I am sitting around a 1:08. Does anyone have any tips for faster magazine loading? Thanks

Do you get a clip loader? Back in the FN days we had a clip loader for the mags and one on the rifle. There seems to be a lot of AR mag versions out there as well?

DSC08436.JPG

Do you get a clip loader? Back in the FN days we had a clip loader for the mags and one on the rifle. There seems to be a lot of AR mag versions out there as well?

DSC08436.JPG
Yes, using the clip-loader is a separate test actually (30 rounds in less than 30 seconds). Unfortunately, we cannot use any external tools for the manual test and it must be done by hand.

Push down on the casing nearer the primer end to get it to seat in. Try pushing down on the cartridge from different positions to see what works best for you and the magazine your using. Troll the internet for mag loading video.

Hi everyone, currently in reserve BMQ as an infantry officer. As we approach our weapons handling test, the only aspect that I am struggling with is the timed magazine filling. It requires for full marks that we complete a 30-round manual load in less than 55 seconds. Currently, I am sitting around a 1:08. Does anyone have any tips for faster magazine loading? Thanks

My 'mag filling hack' was to load one round at a time, from a pile of rounds in my hat/helmet, without holding a handful of rounds while you're doing it. Kind of like that video. But hold the mag on your thigh with your left hand (if you're right handed) and feed the rounds in with your right.

Also practise, alot. Seriously. It can also be fun to set up contests if you have a few free minutes. Especially in the dark ;)

The suggestion I will make is to line the loose rounds up on the floor in front of you in groups of 2-3 rounds, all pointed in the same direction. Lay them out to the right, hold the mag in place with your left hand, and practice scooping up the 2-3 rds and slipping them in, push down and slide to the rear. Repeat until complete.

The suggestion I will make is to line the loose rounds up on the floor in front of you in groups of 2-3 rounds, all pointed in the same direction. Lay them out to the right, hold the mag in place with your left hand, and practice scooping up the 2-3 rds and slipping them in, push down and slide to the rear. Repeat until complete.
This was my ‘fast loading’ non-stripper-clip method too. Bullets pointing towards me, two or three at a time, supported on my fingers and pushed into the mag with my thumb.

I found the easiest way was similar to the video posted, but with a bit if a push toward thr back of the mag. If you aren't careful it's easy to end up with a round catching on the front of the mag.

Remember, all of us in the CAF managed to get it done, so it's well within your ability with a bit if practice and deliberate action. I'm a weather weenie and managed it, I have zero doubt you will when the time comes.

Back