• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mapped: Corruption in Countries Around the World

The difference between the doctor and the lawyers is that the lawyers' licensing body has said that they can not practice; the doctor, on the other hand, has not had his license to practice medicine cancelled, suspended or otherwise curtail. It's the "insurance company" (i.e., the provincial health plan) that says "they" will not pay for any medical services that he provides to individuals covered under MSP.

He is still registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC and has no restrictions or conditions imposed on his practice.

And he still seems to be employed as a professor at the UBC Faculty of Medicine.

Even more awful then, is what I'm sensing.

Even more awful then, is what I'm sensing.

Not what I'm sensing. I'm not suggesting that the doctor is a "better person" than the lawyers or that he is Hippocrates incarnate, or that he is a brilliant clinician. Far from it, but I would suggest that if his conduct had in any way compromised the quality of care that he provided then his college would have stepped in with sanctions. From experience a couple of decades ago when one of the physicians at a group that I managed was audited by the provincial insurance plan, a representative of the college, as well as one from the provincial medical association is included in the audit process so the licensing bodies are (or should be) well aware when physicians are accused of billing irregularities.. Though it wasn't BC in my case, their procedures are very similar.

As for the BC physician who had his wrist well and truly slapped, my first thought was how did a "lab monkey" bill so much. The doctor in that case is a microbiologist, so the expectation is that most of his clinical duties (vice his professor-ing) do not involve direct patient contact. However, there is enough paper out there about the doctor to form an opinion as to his practice activities over the years as well as some hints about his personality.

A lot can be gleaned from his other forays into the courts. https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/id=Cimolai&resultIndex=2

A selection of which make interesting reading Cimolai v. Children's and Women's Health Centre, 2003 BCCA 338; Cimolai v. The Queen, 2005 TCC 767; and Cimolai v. Hall et al., 2005 BCSC 31

My opinion . . . competent physician, less than competent when he plays accountant or lawyer.

Wow, forging your express test results from someone else's in an academic environment seems even worse than in a normal office, given that not properly quoting your own work is considered plagarism and falls under academic dishonesty, which is the kind of thing they pull degrees, retract thesises and fire people for.

Back