• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Unfit

Trader 556

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, just wanted to share my experience with everyone since there cannot be enough information for potential new recruits out there.

My first application was back in Jan '08, and it was about 3-4 months I heard back from them stating at the time, my current medical condition did not meet CF standards and the letter stated I should contact the local CFRC for final disposition.

I did not even call back cause I figured if I'm med. unfit, I'm done for good.

My file was eventually closed in Nov '08.

Fast forward to about 16 months from initial application, I had the desire to follow up on my med. unfit letter.  I was informed all I needed was an update medical because they are good for 12 months, so my results had "expired" and I needed a doctors "note" stating my previous medical condition is stable.  I went and got two opinions, one from sports clinic (private) and one from sports doctor (public) and submitted both into medical for them to review and submit my files to RMO in Ottawa.

Time line. 

29 Oct 09, update medical at CFRC
4 Nov 09, Medical accepted my letters and was filed away for review
14 Nov 09, file was reviewed by senior med. tech. and submitted to RMO in Ottawa
23 Nov 09, RMO had reviewed my file and letter was sent to me with results.
27 Nov 09 letter received, did not know it was here until 29 Nov 09.
30 Nov 09, went to local CFRC to inquire about my previous application and was told my file was closed because it was expired, 12 months is how long they will keep a file open.  I was told I needed to redo the application process, so had to procure all the transcripts, etc. again. 
1 Dec 09, filled out the forms completely with references and all and application was submitted.  Talked to the same recruiter on my first application, very helpful Sgt. I might say.

Your file should have all the transcripts but bring the originals into your local CFRC for them to photocopy, they gotta stamp and sign its verified legitimate.  If they cannot find your previous file, you have the stuff ready to go and wont have to run around again.

So now its just hurry up and wait for my file to be reviewed and submitted.  I may need to redo PT and interview.  CFAT should be good if I passed for the MOC and medical is updated.

Now here are somethings which happened along the way for me which slowed down the process.

If medical asks if you have time to do a medical and it is not formally booked, take the 20-40 minutes and say yes, go pay extra parking fare if you need to cause by me saying I had not time, that delayed the process by 3 weeks to get an formal appointment, I waited a good 40 minutes before it was my turn to sit at the desk with the scheduler.  Your eye prescription is only good for 12 months.  They did not mention that to me so I had to go and book an eye exam, that slowed the process down by 1 week.

Your file should have a "paper" trail.  If your file is not filled out correctly, your file gets lost!  Which was my case, my file did not state the file was closed and archived away in the 2008 section so they spent lots of time searching all over the place, mainly in the 2009 files.  Medical had a hard time finding my file the first time and then later the recruiters had a hard time as well.  REMEMBER for you file number and SN if you are issued one, it will speed things up if you supply that info to recruiting when you call.

document the times you submit stuff and who you speak to and when.  Use google calendar for that, its free, you just need to open a gmail account.  If you know who you gave stuff to, they will have a better idea of where to look than the next recruiter who is taking over and is not fully briefed on your situation.

Hope some of my experiences has helped those who are in the dark so to speak.  Just remember, each CFRC has hundreds of people passing through, they are not gonna remember you specifically.  I was fortunate the recruiter I spoke with did vaguely but I had to remind him where we meet.

Thats all I can think of for now, but I will call this friday to make sure my application is in the right pile and not the outgoing pile for paper recycling.

Oh this is an important one, 6 months is how long you need to wait to get another shot from a medical.  So if you busted up a knee, shoulder, etc.  If the doc says its stable, you're good to go.

Back