• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mental health in the military: Majority of troops avoid couch talk

Now I'm not saying that the psych docs don't have their place....they do!! There is a perception that anyone that talks to a psych doc is "weak".
I've spoken to one, and yes it helped.And Yes I was viewed as being "weak" because it was 1992 when I spoke to the doc. Two or three sessions was all it took.
There is a time and place for just about everything and I think a few drinks with good friends after is not altogether a bad thing.

In the late eighties/early nineties, while serving in Gander, I was a member of the town fire department.  It was a great fire hall, mixed regular and volunteer, responsible for hundreds of miles of the Trans-Canada Highway, from halfway to Grand Falls to the West, and Terra Nova National Park to the east.  We had our fair share of motor vehicle accidents that were "car/truck versus moose."  In 1985 they had to deal with the DC-8 crash that killed 256 people, 248 of which were from the 101st Airborne Division.  More than five years later, the government sent a psychologist from Memorial University to talk with the firefighters and the RCMP, who were still serving from the time of the crash.  It was an interesting experience to say the least.  The 'doctor' from MUN matched every stereotype in the book; tartan/plaid pants, bright shirt, and tie with a fish print.  He was also excellent at his job.  After a long period of question and answer, and trying to feel out the group, he asked "..what did you guys do after the crash was over.... after the days and days of finding bodies, and putting out the fires what did you guys do?...."  He was met with silence, until one of the guys said "... we came  back to the fire hall put away our gear (after a week) and a lot of us got drunk, and told crude stories ...."  We were surprised when he said "Excellent!!!  And those guys who didn't come back to the hall, how many of them are still with the Fire Dept?"  The answer was very very few, if any.  His point was quickly taken.  I wouldn't advocate the drinking side of it so much, but the camaraderie and ability to commiserate with others who have gone through the same experiences, has never been so important, as it is now.  Sort of reinforces the need for the military mess.

the 48th regulator said:
Let me reiterate what I asked before, should the soldier that was wounded physically overseas, refuse to have a civilian Doctore help to treat and heal them?  Or how about a Civillian Physiotherapist to help rehabilitate them?  Based on your theory, they do not know what the soldier has gone through, so they would only be going through the motions and subcribing feel good medication to numb the pain.

dileas
tess

It is not widely known that CF H Svcs Gp has a clinical team that meets with civilian hospitals near major Bases that are deploying large numbers of soldiers to help them understand the complexities of the cases that they will likely encounter during or post deployment.

In most cases if you are referred out to a civilian practitioner by the MO, then you are being referred for a consult with someone who is known and trusted by the MO.

It is your right to request a second opinion or to request treatment from someone you are comfortable with.  If you don't trust the care provider you will not get the full benefit of your treatment.

IMHO, there is nothing worse for the military community than the 'perceived hero' who becomes a real jerk while receiving treatment from licensed, qualified, compassionate care providers.

Frostnipped Elf said:
It is not widely known that CF H Svcs Gp has a clinical team that meets with civilian hospitals near major Bases that are deploying large numbers of soldiers to help them understand the complexities of the cases that they will likely encounter during or post deployment.

In most cases if you are referred out to a civilian practitioner by the MO, then you are being referred for a consult with someone who is known and trusted by the MO.

It is your right to request a second opinion or to request treatment from someone you are comfortable with.  If you don't trust the care provider you will not get the full benefit of your treatment.

IMHO, there is nothing worse for the military community than the 'perceived hero' who becomes a real jerk while receiving treatment from licensed, qualified, compassionate care providers.

So this would include Metnal Health professionals, I would assume.

dileas

tess

EW said:
In the late eighties/early nineties, while serving in Gander, I was a member of the town fire department.  It was a great fire hall, mixed regular and volunteer, responsible for hundreds of miles of the Trans-Canada Highway, from halfway to Grand Falls to the West, and Terra Nova National Park to the east.  We had our fair share of motor vehicle accidents that were "car/truck versus moose."  In 1985 they had to deal with the DC-8 crash that killed 256 people, 248 of which were from the 101st Airborne Division.  More than five years later, the government sent a psychologist from Memorial University to talk with the firefighters and the RCMP, who were still serving from the time of the crash.  It was an interesting experience to say the least.  The 'doctor' from MUN matched every stereotype in the book; tartan/plaid pants, bright shirt, and tie with a fish print.  He was also excellent at his job.  After a long period of question and answer, and trying to feel out the group, he asked "..what did you guys do after the crash was over.... after the days and days of finding bodies, and putting out the fires what did you guys do?...."  He was met with silence, until one of the guys said "... we came  back to the fire hall put away our gear (after a week) and a lot of us got drunk, and told crude stories ...."  We were surprised when he said "Excellent!!!  And those guys who didn't come back to the hall, how many of them are still with the Fire Dept?"  The answer was very very few, if any.  His point was quickly taken.  I wouldn't advocate the drinking side of it so much, but the camaraderie and ability to commiserate with others who have gone through the same experiences, has never been so important, as it is now.  Sort of reinforces the need for the military mess.

+1 to that

the 48th regulator said:
So this would include Metnal Health professionals, I would assume.

dileas

tess

Indeed, if you are comfortable upon first meeting, go back to referring physician. MH professionals are normally spoken to by the referring MO prior to first session.  However, if it doesn't feel right for the patient, then the healing process will be affected.

Frostnipped Elf said:
However, if it doesn't feel right for the patient, then the healing process will be affected.

Which is the objective of the doctor, to help convince the patient of the benefits in seeing one for the healing process.

But, I am glad to hear that they are included in the proces, MH professionals.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Which is the objective of the doctor, to help convince the patient of the benefits in seeing one for the healing process.

But, I am glad to hear that they are included in the proces, MH professionals.

dileas

tess

The MO encourages the patient to explore treatments that may heal or improve elements of the medical condition.  Initial sessions with a MH professional are mostly exploration.  Consider that MH sessions normally come in 1 hour blocks, whereas MO appointments are generally 15-30 minutes, 45 minutes if it is a Periodic/Physical Health Exam. As well, MH sessions can occur weekly or more frequently if necessary, until a Dr. - patient bond and a treatment regime is established.

- During our post Op APPOLLO psych interviews in 2002, the Mil Psch explained that she was a Captain, but was wearing civ clothing because it helped some people relax.

- Who was she trying to kid? I am a lifer, I won't relax until she puts her uniform back ON, and keeps it on.  NEXT. 

- I got the impression that they were trolling for relevance.  They needed a culture of victimhood among the returning troops to justify a bigger budget, more bureaucracy and so on.  Naturally, the Principal Of War "Economy Of Force" is not well understood by this crowd.  Namely: that  every dollar unnecessarily spent solving psych issues that don't exist is a dollar STOLEN from programs to better select, train and equip soldiers going into battle: A subtle form of sabotage.

- I was told today of a Social Worker 'let go' from one base, now at another telling at least one former soldier that PTSD is incurable and means a lifetime of counselling.  Naturally, there are doctors out there more than willing to prescribe all sorts of medications for life.  Remember: there is one pharmaceutical salesman for every seven doctors.

Mil medicine is now (and has been during the last 5 years) with issues that have not been encountered in the last 50 years and with wound scenarios never experienced before. 

I had a social worker that worked for me that never wore a uniform for counselling duties, I fixed that but I found it hard to understand how that situaton was allowed to develop. 

MH money is like an insurance policy - do you have car, house or life insurance?  Why, couldn't you find something better to spend your money on?

Just because a psychological condition can only be treated once it is acknowledged, denial is not a symptom but it is a hurdle in resolving issues.  Some patients can develop an adverse reaction to a uniformed care provider, but as per para 1, providers and their supervisors have learned a lot during the last 5 years.

Patient compliance has always been an issue for resolving a condition. At the end of the day it is a patient's right to choose or even refuse a treatment plan.  Nothing is for life, it may prolong your life or improve it, but sadly everything ends with death.

Back