• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Metal Log Cap Brass

catalyst

Reaction score
Ref this thread - http://forums.army.ca/forums/.php/topic,93216.0/all.html - My cadets wear the metal logistic  brass when they reach WO or up - but I'm reading that they are no longer authorized. Were they once authorized or was it just for the peak cap?

If one is to acquire one, is there a source for them still.

I am working on accoutrements for the Cadets with the CO and the CLO and want to make sure my ducks are in a row before I present a decision - I got a "I don't know response" from the people I asked, so figure I'd ask the knowledgeable folks here :)

To the best of my knowledge, the only reason the metal badge is still in the system is at the Navy's insistence for use on our peak caps (the Clothing and Dress Committee actually tried to have it taken out of the system until the Navy protested). Only officers and CPO1/CWOs are authorized to wear bullion embroidered cap badges (albeit at personal expense)  This means that all MWOs and below are stuck with the embarrassingly cheap cloth piece of crap.

Cadets - as in, cadets ages 12-18? Children? Wearing a Logistics cap badge? Just clarifying before I toss a few scales of issue your way...

Do it! Tell us how cadet units are wrong for wearing the hat badge of their affiliated unit! Come on!

"Affiliated" unit?  Logistics is not a unit.  Tell me, what qualifications do they hold?  QL3 Supply, Traffic Tech, MSE Op or {insert other Log trade here}? 

PMedMoe said:
"Affiliated" unit?  Logistics is not a unit.  Tell me, what qualifications do they hold?  QL3 Supply, Traffic Tech, MSE Op or {insert other Log trade here}?

Army cadets often wear the cap badges of whatever unit/branch with which they are associated.  The cadets of any one of a number of infantry regiment corps are no more qualified in infantry than those associated with service batallions are qualified in the logistics occupations, but no one seems to mind those infantry corps cadets wearing their infantry regiment cap badges.  I've seen cadets in corps associated with reserve field ambulances wearing Medical Branch cap badges. 

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Quite right, but Service Battalions and Depots are.

Are service battalions really Logistics units? I've always thought of them as composite Logistics/EME units. In Pet right now at 2 Service Bn the CO is Log and the RSM is EME.

I'm not saying that cadet units shouldn't wear a cap badge -- I'm just saying that service battalions don't usually self identify as Logistics Branch units.

Pusser said:
Army cadets often wear the cap badges of whatever unit/branch with which they are associated.  The cadets of any one of a number of infantry regiment corps are no more qualified in infantry than those associated with service batallions are qualified in the logistics occupations, but no one seems to mind those infantry corps cadets wearing their infantry regiment cap badges.  I've seen cadets in corps associated with reserve field ambulances wearing Medical Branch cap badges.

Yes this is a very common, my kids were cadets in Borden in a Corps affiliated with CFSAL(now CFLTC) and wore the log capbage

I thought they had a "Cadet" cap badge or just an Air Force one.  :dunno:  Learn something new every day.

Ostrozac said:
Are service battalions really Logistics units? I've always thought of them as composite Logistics/EME units. In Pet right now at 2 Service Bn the CO is Log and the RSM is EME.

I'm not saying that cadet units shouldn't wear a cap badge -- I'm just saying that service battalions don't usually self identify as Logistics Branch units.

In Svc Bn, support to cadet units is done at the Company level, authorized by the CO.  So Maint Coy would sponsor a RCEME cadet corps, and S&T Coy would sponsor a Log cadet corp etc.

Ostrozac said:

I consider a service battalion to be a combat service support unit rather than a logistics one, but that is from my days in the primordial ooze.

PMedMoe said:
I thought they had a "Cadet" cap badge or just an Air Force one.  :dunno:  Learn something new every day.

There is an air cadet cap brass (they don't wear the affiliated unit ones), however, with permission from the Affiliated Unit CO, Cadets may wear the AFU cap badge.  In this case, our corps wears the logistics branch cap brass. There is a generic Army Cadet badge (actually two, a metal one that is no longer made and a very nice cloth one. At my corps, only those who have been there for some time (not the join and leave  a week later) are given them - usually by a member of the AFU.

Back