• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mileage for recall to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Before I get "flak" I did do a search.
I'm wondering if there is a policy that covers your mileage if you are recalled to work twice in one day.  I.e.  You are on duty lock-up.  You go to work (normal hours) and after you've gone home for the day, you get called back in for an unsecured door (some numpty!!).  Can you claim the mileage?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can claim mileage if you are called back into work, can't recall if it was here or somewhere else.

This is a new one to me.  I have had the MPs call me at home late at night to come in and check out the alarms and there is nothing that I have heard of stating that I was entitled to "mileage" for coming in. 

You are on "Duty".  Do you get "mileage" to go in to work normally?

Some people do, depending on where they are posted and where they live.

submit an "MTEC" (Minor Travel Expense Claim) to your BOR or Ships Office. They can only say "no"

and mileage ($$) to go back into work, never ever heard of that. I consider part of my duty and feel I am aptly compensated 24/7.

Crow

Those people recieve an approved monthly allowance from their unit based on distance and is a prior authorization.

Yup.  I use my own truck at work, due to budget constraints, and I get high rate mileage.  Even prior to my present  position when I worked in the shops we received mileage for after hours call ins as the duty tech.  It's our unit policy.
:salute:

Before this goes any further, lets get all the details.

First off, it sounds like you are Regular Force, working in Kingston at the MIR.  It also sounds like you live with in 50 km of work. 

If you are Regular Force, then I am sure they will tell you to pound salt.

If you are Reserve, I believe you have to live outside of a 50 km Radius of the Unit, before you can make any claims for Travel.

I am regular force.. and I live within 50km of work.
When I am duty tech, and I get called into work, I get to claim mileage (high rate) there and back. That is policy for the entire NCR (national capital region) I don't know if this is CF policy, or just an "Ottawa thing"

Cheers,

Maybe instead of being on call when on duty they can create a duty room for you to stay at like most bases so you can't go home for the evening

And maybe they can provide a Commissionaire like they have for almost every other unit on this base.....
I'm just asking because I recall reading it somewhere and was trying to figure out where I saw it.  Personally, I don't care as I live within 7 km of work, but some pers live almost 30 km away and it sucks to get called in a 0300 because someone left a door open when they left the bldg.

Most units I have been at the duty pers is supposed to be the last one to leave the building or take the name of who is left so that if the building is left insecure they can be dealt with by CoC

Here in Petawawa there are no commisionaires at the units and it sucks to have to stay in the building all night... believe me there wouldn't be alot of complaints about mileage if they could be on call and really how many times are you called back in?

Simple, the guy who forgot to lock the door has lockup for the next 2 weeks.

Screw that up again and he goes infront of the old man.

As for mileage, under 7km to work....oh well. It's all part of the job.

Regards

Good one, Recce, I wish, but the people who leave the door unsecured are civilians and they don't do lock up, nor do they have any repercussions.
I agree on the mileage, I'm just looking for some of the other guys who may have to come in from a distance.

PMedMoe said:
..........., but the people who leave the door unsecured are civilians and they don't do lock up, ........

If you are Duty Lock Up, then it is your Duty to Secure the Building, which means you are "supposed to be the LAST ONE OUT", and it is 'your Duty' to stay until all pers are out of the Bldg.  It is a Duty. 

I suppose the SM will point out to you that as it was 'your Duty', you should not have left in the first place, so the consequences of you having to return several times is in fact your fault, which would negate any payment for your Travel.  In fact he may point out that your leaving, and leaving people in the building, could be considered a dereliction of duty.  Instead of the Gov't paying you a Travel Allowance, you may face paying the Queen's Coffers a Fine.

As they were Civilians, the Duty Lock Up pers would be there to 'supervise' or 'provide security for' the facility until such time as the Civilians left.  Again, it comes back to you having been "On Duty" to lock up the place.

George Wallace said:
I suppose the SM will point out to you that as it was 'your Duty', you should not have left in the first place, so the consequences of you having to return several times is in fact your fault

Actually, no, if we get a call from the MPs, the SM notes whether the door was locked or not.  If the door is locked but left unsecured, then the DLP did their duty.  We have to stay until 1700 now as "too many people are still in the bldg" at the usual lock up time.
In Petawawa at the BHosp. our lock-up duty was much the same as we would lock up, make an announcement that the bldg was secure and leave.  We rarely had a problem with doors being left open, here in Kingston, it seems to be a weekly (if not more) occurrence.  I don't know what the problem is.  ::)
At any rate, thanks for all your helpful solutions to a simple question.

I feel your pain Moe - I've been beeped in on several occasions secondary to some staff(add your own rude name) person, from the second or third floor there has decided that they don't have to close the door behind them because they'll never have to do lock up or get called in.  A lot frustrating at 0330.

MM

....and on that note, locked.

If you have something more to add to whether or not he/ she is entitled to get monies for mileage for duty, PM a mod.

Regards

PMedMoe said:
I found the policy, it is found at: http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFCA/143000440021059/Default.asp
It is the DCBA Benefits - FAQ

Here's the response (emphasis is mine):

I got called in to work last night.  Can I claim high rate of mileage from my home to work?
It is the member’s responsibility to get to and from work on a daily basis.  Members of the CF are on duty 24 hours a day 7 days a week unless on authorized leave.  [The only time a member can be reimbursed for mileage is when the recall constitutes a second trip on the same day from the member’s home to the workplace.  Entitled is reimbursed for mileage at the high rate from the Member’s home to the workplace.

Hope that clears it up for everyone.

Moe

As per your request Moe.

Please note though that a recall is initiated by the CoC and not the member themselves under most circumstances.

Regards

Edited for clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back