• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Career

bodmon4lifee

Inactive
Reaction score
I have always wanted to persue a career in the military and i cannot decide between military police, infantry officer and infantry. Military police appeals to me because its like being a cop and a soldier + it will look good on a resume. Infantry because i want to be involved in CSOR and other special training like pathfinder or paratrooper and infantry officer because its like the infantry but it pays for my education. The most important things for me are having a career after the military and being part of a specialized force/unit. Which route should i persue and why?!

If having a job after the military is what really matters to you, Infantry really won't help so much .. Although yes it does look good on a resume, qualifications will get you the job you want.  There are plenty of other trades in the army that transfer over from the military. 

If you are going to go through ROTP to become an officer, your looking at school and then probably another 6 - 8 years commitment, personally i would just Finnish the 17 extra years and get your pension instead of starting from scratch.

Being an officer will help after the military, but your degree will be what really helps you.  I know many former members who were infantry working at safeway, who assumed they would get awesome jobs because of their military experience.

I would seriously think about a career in the forces, you will gain much more from it then you would think. :cdn:

MGalantine said:
Lastly, if I'm not mistaken, to be an MP you need a Police Foundations diploma, at least at the current time.

You do indeed need that, my friend had to have a criminology degree before they even looked at her because so many people want to be an MP

jackel_99 said:
You do indeed need that, my friend had to have a criminology degree before they even looked at her because so many people want to be an MP

My wife's grandmother was an MP in WW2 after women were allowed to join (not sent overseas though.) Things sure have changed :)

Just to clarify, you are considering MP and infantry as NCM, and Infantry O correct?  Because yes you will need at minimum Police foundations for MP NCM, as well as passing the MPAC.

Just to add unlike the US you cannot enter directly into SF units off civvi street (like the Ranger contract you can get in the states) you will have to be bare minimum QL3 qualified as an NCM and I believe Phase IV for officers before being able to apply for CSOR/CJIRU/JTF2/etc, you also will need a minimum of 2yrs TI.

bodmon4lifee said:
I have always wanted to persue a career in the military and i cannot decide between military police, infantry officer and infantry. Military police appeals to me because its like being a cop and a soldier + it will look good on a resume. Infantry because i want to be involved in CSOR and other special training like pathfinder or paratrooper and infantry officer because its like the infantry but it pays for my education. The most important things for me are having a career after the military and being part of a specialized force/unit. Which route should i persue and why?!

I applaud your enthusiasm / save this post and read it 20 years from now for a little levity. Forces.ca is a great site to start and please visit your nearest recruiting centre armed with these questions + more.  There are many options and paid professionals to assist and guide you with this process.  All the best, Dan.

Back