• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military firefighter

nat1727

Reaction score
Hey, just a question if anyone knows, im looking to join the reserves but for Military firefighter, dose anyone know if thats possible? . Might be a stupid question but i couldn't find much about it online and im wondering because i would love to join

The Forces.ca website has it listed as full-time, this is probably because firefighters would have to be on base almost 24/7 to ensure that any fires on base can be effectively quelled. Probably wouldn't be too effective of a firefighting force if the firefighters are only there one evening a week and one weekend a month.

Hope this helps!

The Forces.ca website has it listed as full-time, this is probably because firefighters would have to be on base almost 24/7 to ensure that any fires on base can be effectively quelled. Probably wouldn't be too effective of a firefighting force if the firefighters are only there one evening a week and one weekend a month.

Hope this helps!
Yeah that makes a lot of sense now that i think about it, thanks for the reply!

A lot of bases have civilian FF now for the permanent crew, so it's more on airfields and deployed units (and some bases). They got rid of FFs on ships a while ago as well. It's an interesting mix of civi and military FFs across the CAF, with a lot of the civi FFs transferring from the military to permanent positions.

A lot of bases have civilian FF now for the permanent crew, so it's more on airfields and deployed units (and some bases). They got rid of FFs on ships a while ago as well. It's an interesting mix of civi and military FFs across the CAF, with a lot of the civi FFs transferring from the military to permanent positions.
My goal is to become a civi FF, do you think joining military FF would be helpful to that goal? Because till later on i can come back and join the military as maybe something to do with reserve force with all the free time i will have as a FF

They got rid of FFs on ships a while ago as well.
Not to distract from this useful thread, but do they still have firefighters standing by during helo ops? If so, who does that role? Just curious. I was unaware of this change (I have been out of uniform for a long time). Thanks.

Not to distract from this useful thread, but do they still have firefighters standing by during helo ops? If so, who does that role? Just curious. I was unaware of this change (I have been out of uniform for a long time). Thanks.
Not actual 149 FFs; they expanded the number of HCRFF trained ship staff, and there are MARTECHs that now do the MCpl and Sgt FF role.

Aside from the actual HCRFF task, lost a lot of skills relevant to maintenance of things like bunker gear, extinguishers and other portable gear, which won't be even fully covered when the 'structures' stream is back to replace the HT trade that has been gone for about 8 years now.

Some FF loved sailing, other hated it, but also means we're going to start running out of FFs that have shipboard experience that is still relevant for positions like the sea training MWO FF and the RCN Command Fire Marshall (under the CFFM office). Huge difference in context for shipboard vs landbased FF, and were some Navy people think it's a good idea to start cutting holes for ventilation because it works on houses.

As an aside, was down at Borden a few weeks ago and they've got a great setup for the FF school there. They get the same training as the folks at Georgian college who also train on site and also get to use things like the ARFF trucks that a lot of departments don't have, so it's a great way to get high quality training and the same quals, while chances to do things like deploy to overseas bases to support air fields. The instructors were all solid people and the students seemed really happy, so was a great atmosphere. It's away from the army side of the base as well so a bit more relaxed once you get on the fire fields.

Pretty good option I think and the quals transfer directly so if you don't like it you can always finish out the contract and move on, but with some experience under your belt.

Back