• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military hindering Afghan relief work

sneak and peek soldier

Inactive
Reaction score
PUBLICATION:  The Ottawa Citizen
DATE:  2006.02.13
EDITION:  Final
SECTION:  News
PAGE:  A4
BYLINE:  Mike Blanchfield
SOURCE:  The Ottawa Citizen
WORD COUNT:  530

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Military accused of hindering Afghan aid work: Focus on Kandahar means other areas go lacking, CARE director says

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Canada's largest aid agencies is criticizing the federal government's focus on the war-torn Kandahar region, saying it will force the end of relief efforts in other parts of Afghanistan -- including helping the country's impoverished war widows.

CARE Canada director John Watson levelled that charge in a recent interview in which he responded to comments made by the leader of the Canadian Forces' provincial reconstruction team in Kandahar, who said last week that non-governmental agencies need to do a "gut check" and come back to the increasingly violent region.

Mr. Watson said the comments by Canadian Col. Steve Bowes reflect "a breathtaking lack of understanding" of how the military and aid groups should be working together.

"When they say, 'you got to do a gut check,' what he's got in mind is NGOs coming and staying with the military, going out on patrols and doing work. That's not the way it works," said Mr. Watson.

"We have to have the ability to carry out our operations independent of the military, to be seen to be doing that independent of the military."

Mr. Watson, who has been critical of the military's renewed focus on humanitarian operations in the past, said he applauds Canada's military contribution to international efforts to bring security to Afghanistan's troubled south, where violence has spiked in the last year with a Taliban and al-Qaeda insurgency that now features suicide bombings.

That doesn't mean aid agencies should be working under military protection, he added.

Almost all western aid groups have abandoned southern Afghanistan since the renewed violence. Canada has pledged funding to Afghan reconstruction through the Canadian International Development Agency.

But most of that aid will be funnelled through military-led efforts in Kandahar under the provincial reconstruction team.

This "3-D" policy approach emphasizes co-operation of defence, diplomatic efforts through the Foreign Affairs Department and development assistance through CIDA.

Outside Kandahar, that will mean an end to funding for other projects such as CARE's efforts to feed and provide other aid and basic vocational training to Afghanistan's 60,000 war widows and their children. The Widows Feeding Project is so popular it drew a visit by ex-deputy prime minister John Manley in Kabul four years ago.

With CIDA funding to Afghanistan due to be cut from this year's $100,000 contribution to $40,000 by 2008, Mr. Watson said the widows' program is on the chopping block. CIDA currently funds the full $6.5-million cost of the program to March 31.

"They're cutting it off because of Kandahar," said Mr. Watson. "Everything is focused in Kandahar, and everything that falls outside of that is being cut back.

"We're working quite fine in Afghanistan, and they're cutting the funding to successful projects in order to fund initiatives in Kandahar that are just not feasible."

Since the end of the Cold War, aid workers have become targets of some combatants in war-torn countries. Mr. Watson said CARE has thought long and hard about where it operates after having lost 44 local staff in Somalia and another 24 in Rwanda a decade ago.

Aid agencies aren't prepared to give up their hard-earned neutrality by going "behind the wire" and aligning themselves with military forces, he said.

The international arm of CARE has been active in Afghanistan since 1961 and has 900 staffers -- 99 per cent of them Afghan hires -- in 11 provinces, and running 13 projects worth $20 million.

It remained in the country during the 1996-2001 rule of the fundamentalist Taliban militia that harboured al-Qaeda.

[Sarcasm warning - - it's been one of those days]

sneak and peek soldier said:
"We have to have the ability to carry out our operations independent of the military, to be seen to be doing that independent of the military."
That doesn't mean aid agencies should be working under military protection, he added.
Then don't.

With CIDA funding to Afghanistan due to be cut from this year's $100,000 contribution to $40,000 by 2008, Mr. Watson said the widows' program is on the chopping block..."They're cutting it off because of Kandahar."
...aid will be funnelled through military-led efforts in Kandahar under the provincial reconstruction team.
Ahhhh...there's the key. "This is MY breadbasket. The provision of aid by the military conflicts with my left-wing, 'military bad,' world-view." Or "how can I pat myself on the back if I'm not personally seen to be leading the effort to help these poor people?"

The Widows Feeding Project is so popular it drew a visit by ex-deputy prime minister John Manley in Kabul four years ago.
Well, I guess you can't beat that sort of popularity  ::)

Aid agencies aren't prepared to give up their hard-earned neutrality by going "behind the wire" and aligning themselves with military forces, he said.
Heaven forbid we should work with a mindset that we're on the same team working towards the same goal in Afghanistan, and other deployments. For "Defence, Diplomacy and Development" (3D) to work, we've got to get over this sort of behaviour and work from the same progam.

Piper said:
Then let CARE Canada go on its own.

I'm sure a few hijacked aid convoys, beheaded employees and daily IED attacks will convince them to change their mind.

No point handing out aid when the area isn't safe to do so in. Has this Watson character ever heard of a place called Somalia?

sneak and peek soldier said:
Since the end of the Cold War, aid workers have become targets of some combatants in war-torn countries. Mr. Watson said CARE has thought long and hard about where it operates after having lost 44 local staff in Somalia and another 24 in Rwanda a decade ago.

Did you even read the article?

New Ruxted editorial here.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39787.0.html

dealing with any NGO in an operational environment is always a pain.
Even at the best of times.

The largest obstacle to good cooperation between military and NGO's is ignorance. Neither knows what the other can bring to the table, nor sometimes do they care.

The military has taken leaps forward in understanding and accommodating NGOs. Occasionally it sucks they do not take the time to learn about what more then guns the military can bring to the table.   

In this case, I thing CARE wants to reemphasise that it is not only the flavour of the day (Kandahar area) that needs help but former areas of influence (Kabul) still need funding and support. We can not forget the people we helped and leave them in the dust when we move on. Despite his dislike of the military and FA's 3D approach, I think he does have a point.

I think a lot of the NGOs often make a point of sh9owing to the world that they are not lackeys of the Gov't & the military.

Does Kabul still need help - yes - probably - more than likely. However, while Kabul has benefited from FA & the NGOs support for several years, other areas of Afghanistan haven't seen anything except the local delegation from the Taliban. Time for a little bit of TLC in the provinces is overdue.

I do not think it is up to the CF to ensure programs are maintained. Let the NGOs deal directly with the Fed bureaucrats & not to the CF.

Back