• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Modifying an Iltis??

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I‘m looking for ideas on what i can add or do to an iltis to make it more user friendly/comfortable.

-Tools that would be essential to fixing it in the field/doing maintenance
-good places to store personal kit. (I‘ve seen armored guys when doing recce‘s hang ruck sacks off the sides of the vehicle, what‘s used to secure them?)
-Where i could hide (out of sight) small speakers and an am/fm raido or cd player
-A way i can attach locks or latches to the doors to feign security (I know someone could just cut through the windows but it might stop an honest thief)
-Basically any smart idea someones used or seen used on the iltis.

Thanks

LOL. are you trying to get yourself a souped up Iltis? ;)

*will wait to see if there is a ‘Who‘s got the most badass Iltis in LPV Coy‘ contest during the tour* ;)

Am i that transparent? :)
No way can i stand a 5 hour road trip listening to "when i was on my QL3" stories

Errm...

The kit is strapped to the vehicle in any way possable. Ruks are attached using their own straps. Otherwise, if you look closely at a Recce Patrol whizzing by, you will notice the plethera and wide array of coloured bungee cords ;)

I‘ve heard stories of Surplus Ilti being bought up and having the start button replaced by a standard ignition as found in any civie car. Otherwise, any thief with Ilti experience knows all he needs is a pen cap and the Iltis is his!

Tool required to fix the Ilti: 10 lb. sledge hammer.

Sharpey.
On the tool list don‘t forget

1. slew of insults
2. MkII boot size 12
3. Good pair of legs to jump start the thing

I happen to have just placed an order/bid for one of those bad boys, painting it flat black with a paint roller and maybe chrome 5 star rims with dingo balls and fuzzy dice, then top it off with a BMW/benz logo.
Hydrolic‘s, get it bouncing at a car show.
LMAO

If I could find a deal on one, well two (one for parts), I would buy the thing. They are not bad for a toy.

My friend is in the process of buying one right now. At least one private collector in Calgary has a mint one; we showed it off as part of our military vehicle collectors club at the last gun show a couple weekends ago. I put it to good use doing some recruiting for the regiment while I was there.

The thing had the safety chains for the doors, the bag for the doors (visible on the hood), a complete radio set up, and other stuff I‘ve never seen on the field Iltises I‘ve had to drive.

gunshow2.jpg

The sad thing is, this privately owned Iltis was in better shape than the ones I drive for real, mostly because it belongs to just one person, who has a vested interest in taking care of it.

There are a few on the market; buddy checked one out in Ontario before looking at one in the Edmonton area. There are some German ones in BC too, apparently. You don‘t need a key ignition, just a cable lock - better than the Club! Besides, who would want to steal one? :D

As for gucci Iltis kit; I don‘t see it happening. Bring a portable tape player and put it on the passenger side floor boards. Get the QL3 co driver to change stations/CDs/tapes as needed. What you do with the tape player the rest of the weekend is beyond me, though....find a friend in CQ stores?

A Canadian Iltis would be a fun toy to buy and play with. Unfortunately they are no longer sold to the Public. All CF Iltis will be scrapped at salvage yards upon release from DND. Issues have sprung up at Bombardier and its inheirited liability with any vehicles sold to the public after CF use. So if you can find one already out there, scoop it up. They will become a rare show-piece!
As for modding out the Iltis. Use gun-tape, bungee cords and tie-down straps to attach anything and everything to it. We used to bungee a water-resistant boom-box to our Iltis‘ radio tray (double tray - Legacy series). That way when conducting non-tactical road moves, we could have the tunes blasting with the top down.

I heard about the Itlis being sold off to the public...

I searched for the Iltis...

Never found any...

Believed it were more military rumours...

And now they‘re NOT being sold off anymore?!

Whatever I‘ll just ahng on to my current vechs., it‘s got better armour anyways. And door locks. :fifty:

-Pereira

An improvement for the Iltis used by our recce sqn had to do with designing a gunmount for our crew served wpn the C6. I paid for one of my soldiers to develop a metal base pod that bolted to the wooden, windshield protector board. we built about 8 of them and the board is bungied or para-cord tied to the iltis. The crewcomd then has a crew wpn facing forward. Perhaps when Zoomie accesses the unit digital camera he could post a picture of it here.

This may even engender some debate about the need for a crew served wpn when we are supposed to be sneak and peek, although doctrine is changing in the recce world. some might even challenge the need for making this type of mod and its legality.

Anyway see the picture first and then I‘ll be happy to answer your comments.

BG

Originally posted by Sharpey:
[qb]
I‘ve heard stories of Surplus Ilti being bought up and having the start button replaced by a standard ignition as found in any civie car. [/qb]
Is It true that Iltis‘ have a start button? If that is true that is great and I can‘t wait to get into the army.

Ghillie
Although I‘ve only been in track while doing recce, I say "Never turn down a machinegun!"
Slim

to scm77,

Instead of a key ignition system, there‘s a red button that you have to push. It‘s essentially the same thing as what you have to do when you start your car, except that you have to push a button instead of rotating a key. (you have to turn the master power on, and turn on the accessory switch before you do that though).

BTW The only thing you need on a recce ptl (besides your kit of course) is that pot-sized coffee mug they‘re selling at timmie‘s. I know I got mine :D

"A proof is a proof. What kind of proof? It‘s a proof. A proof is proof. And when you have a good proof, it‘s because it is proven." Jean Chretien

Bobby do you hang your Timmies mug off of your ruck so everyone will know you‘re Canadian like in the commercial? :D

Back