• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My reasons for not joining the army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattvdh

Inactive
Reaction score
Contrary to what the title may imply, I'm actually very, very interested in a profession in the army, but what's holding me back are my personal beliefs.

I was watching the 'basic up' recruiting videos and I was truly inspired by the pride that was instilled in to the soldiers and the discipline but I was surprised at the oaths a soldier had to take before being accepted.

First of all, I'm atheist and I do not want any religious influence in my life. I was raised on religion and I refuse to accept any part of Christianity (or any religion for the matter) anymore in to my life. And secondly, they swore and oath to the queen of England.  I do not think I could take that oath seriously considering I want Canada to be its own strong country and even more independent (from the U.S/U.K).

A Canadian soldier should be taking an oath to our Prime Minister and to the Canadian people; not England and her queen. Yes I understand that politically we still have strong ties, but what does being a CA soldier and being in the CA army have to with England anymore(?) It's 2010; not the late 1800's.

Does anyone have any words to share on the matter that might offer some encouragement?

Thanks

Try the search function, it's been done.

And we're not doing it again just for you.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back