• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Cadet in Afghanistan?

Mainz

Inactive
Reaction score
After time in the US Infantry years ago, I am now a Naval Reservist Officer Cadet. I am heading to Venture the end of April for IAP / BOTP / and NETPO. Will be finished on August 25th.

Apparently it is not possible for me to get the Mars III and MARS IV section until late spring 2008.

In reading the article below I am seeing that Gen Hillier is suggesting to 're-role' some Navy and Army personnel in order to free up infantry personnel.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/11/21/reservists-pressure.html

I would be interested in volunteering for a six month support position in Afghanistan if my Naval Reserve arse could be of any serious use over there. What would be involved? Is it possible? What type and length of pre-deployment training would be involved?

I am willing to volunteer for this, and be away from my family and kiddos for this time, if it would be of use, so serious suggestions
and advice only please.

Respectfully

Mainz

If your not DP1/TQ3/battle school qualified in a canadian trade,you aint going.

Mainz, I can't find the post here...but I believe someone said a canforgen went out stating MARS types must have their D levels before being considered for A-stan. I think that means you must have your BWK certificate.

I'm surprised you can get your MARS IV next year. I was told it would be 2009. Like you I'm going to Venture end of April - if the paperwork goes through. (Long story.)

I'm also ex-army and we're the same age. Looking forward to meeting you on course. Let's show the young pups what it's all about.

x-grunt said:
Mainz, I can't find the post here...but I believe someone said a canforgen went out stating MARS types must have their D levels before being considered for A-stan. I think that means you must have your BWK certificate.

I'm surprised you can get your MARS IV next year. I was told it would be 2009. Like you I'm going to Venture end of April - if the paperwork goes through. (Long story.)

I'm also ex-army and we're the same age. Looking forward to meeting you on course. Let's show the young pups what it's all about.

D Level is way more than that. C of C Part 1 is BWK, C oc C part 2 is all your Sea Reqs etc for promotion to Lt(N)....D Level is after your DNO (Navigation qual) or DWO (Weapons) course. You are talking about a Lt(N) who probably has 4-6 years in. We're not deploying Pers awaiting training (PATS).

Thanks IN HOC SIGNO, still have lot's to learn about how all this works.

x-grunt said:
Thanks IN HOC SIGNO, still have lot's to learn about how all this works.

Learn?  I need a Navy dictionary to even understand what that said! 

;D

I will, however, use some of those terms around the shop and see what reacton I get...with a blue beret on now!  I have a day or two on the dockyard before I disappear to the bluer side of Halifax  8)

Arrhh matie!

I'm slated for NOTC Venture at the end of April as well, as long as I get the green light from toronto medical/
aircrew people. Gonna be a last minute thing. It's killing me.

Huddy said:
I'm slated for NOTC Venture at the end of April as well, as long as I get the green light from toronto medical/
aircrew people. Gonna be a last minute thing. It's killing me.

Ha. You and I are in the same boat. PM inbound.
Three years in the recruiting process and now it's all down to that last minute med approval. Talk about hurry up and wait.

If they don't green light me for this year, I think I'll scream. Ain't like I've got 30 years of career time left...at this rate by the time I'm trained, I'll be ready to retire!

EX_RCAC_011 said:
If your not DP1/TQ3/battle school qualified in a canadian trade,you aint going.

Interestingly enough, when I was in Borden last week I was told that there are two PRETC Privates in Afghanistan doing GD at the moment.  They only completed BMQ and pre-deployment trg.

WATCHDOG-81 said:
Interestingly enough, when I was in Borden last week I was told that there are two PRETC Privates in Afghanistan doing GD at the moment.  They only completed BMQ and pre-deployment trg.

That's amazing.

Back