• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officer Training

kartik

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Very excited for the swearing in on Jan 7th 2011 and then BMOQ at St Jean starting Jan 15th 2011. Hopefully I pass BMOQ without going to warrior platoon, Apr 29th 2011. So my BMOQ will be Jan 17th 2011 to Apr 29th 2011.

My questions:

1. After BMOQ, naval officers do NETPO at Venture. Is the transition from one course to another just smooth and automatic or I will have to wait until the next course dates are available?What am I suppose to do during the wait period?Where will I be stationed during that wait period?

2. After NETPO, CSE types go to Halifax for 1 year, same thing, is this transition automati or do I get waiting period?

3. After graduating fron Halifax as CSE, what will be next posting? I was told during NOAB that it will be on the ship as engineering officer.

Please advice about training

-K

guysletsdoit said:
Hello and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Very excited for the swearing in on Jan 7th 2011 and then BMOQ at St Jean starting Jan 15th 2011. Hopefully I pass BMOQ without going to warrior platoon, Apr 29th 2011. So my BMOQ will be Jan 17th 2011 to Apr 29th 2011.

My questions:

1. After BMOQ, naval officers do NETPO at Venture. Is the transition from one course to another just smooth and automatic or I will have to wait until the next course dates are available?What am I suppose to do during the wait period?Where will I be stationed during that wait period?

2. After NETPO, CSE types go to Halifax for 1 year, same thing, is this transition automatic or do I get waiting period?

3. After graduating fron Halifax as CSE, what will be next posting? I was told during NOAB that it will be on the ship as engineering officer.

Please advice about training

-K

Typically they do try to line up intakes such that you won't be waiting. That is to say, they'll try and time what basic training they'll be sending you on with the availability of the other courses down the road. Barring any unfortunate delays in St. Jean, I wouldn't anticipate much wait time between courses. Of course, that is for the ideal situation, and your mileage may vary. If there is wait time between basic and NETPO, you'll likely be doing that in Victoria. If there's wait time between NETPO and your Naval Engineering Indoctrination course (NEI), or between NEI and your Apps course, that'll likely be done in Halifax.

As for what you'll be doing, that depends on where you are and how much time you have to kill, and what else is going on in the meantime. For example, my course had a gap between NEI and our Apps course that lasted from mid-May to end August. During that time, they had us knocking off most of our Officer Professional Military Education courses (OPMEs. Basically a few university courses that the CF has decided all officers should get. They're a pre-req to get promoted to LCdr).

If you don't have enough time for something like that, or there aren't any courses running... well, they'll find something for you to do, and hopefully it won't be too boring. I'd also anticipate a fair bit of heading to the gym.

After you finish your apps course, you'll be sent off to a ship for a year to do your Phase VI. This is where you'll be spending your time learning pretty much everything you can about every system aboard the ship. Fun times really. After that, you'll be eligible for promotion to Lt(N).

I'm kind of curious about the second language training. I wonder if that happens after BMOQ, or after the Naval training is done.
My swearing in is on the 6th and I hope to have most of my questions answered on that day  ;D
I will be also part of the team starting on the 15th. Looking forward to meeting you guysletsdoit!

Alejo

Do a SEARCH of "Second Language Training", "SLT", and "Second Language Training after BMOQ" or variants of those and you will find several discussions on what may happen.

Back