• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy vs. Army (RMS)

girlwithaquestion

Inactive
Reaction score
I just had a quick question about the reserve force for the navy compared to the army.
The trade I'm interested in is RMS and I was wondering if the basic training and skill training was the same for both the navy & army. And if so, would it be possible for me to join the navy first and then maybe after a couple months or a year go over to one of the army reserve units?
Thanks  :)

girlwithaquestion said:
I just had a quick question about the reserve force for the navy compared to the army.
The trade I'm interested in is RMS and I was wondering if the basic training and skill training was the same for both the navy & army. And if so, would it be possible for me to join the navy first and then maybe after a couple months or a year go over to one of the army reserve units?
Thanks  :)

They are both relatively comparable.  You can choose to join any Reserve Unit that is willing to hire you.  Afterwards, if you wish to change units, that is also a possibility.

Hi! I'm in the same situation. What or how are the chances of changing occupation after serving in the reserves for awhile, is it tough or an easy process? I would also like to ask when can a new reserve member ask to change trade in the reserves?

I would like some advice whether to apply now for an opening in the navy or not and wait for a trade that interests me more? I want to try and do the basic training this coming summer so I can maximize the summer full-time potential training of the basic training compared to weekends only. I think most of the trades in the reserve units here are closed for now, so is it fine to apply now and maybe decide to change trades later? I'm having a hard time contacting the recruiter from the unit that I would like to apply for, it's not clear for me when their schedule is.

Thank you!

justin9 said:
Hi! I'm in the same situation. What or how are the chances of changing occupation after serving in the reserves for awhile, is it tough or an easy process? I would also like to ask when can a new reserve member ask to change trade in the reserves?

I would like some advice whether to apply now for an opening in the navy or not and wait for a trade that interests me more? I want to try and do the basic training this coming summer so I can maximize the summer full-time potential training of the basic training compared to weekends only. I think most of the trades in the reserve units here are closed for now, so is it fine to apply now and maybe decide to change trades later? I'm having a hard time contacting the recruiter from the unit that I would like to apply for, it's not clear for me when their schedule is.

Thank you!

If I where you I'd wait until the trade you want comes up. You don't even know yet if the unit you want to apply isn't hiring.  From I've read you have to get permission to leave your unit and permission from the gaining unit. Plus there has to be openings in the new unit. I'm not sure if there is any rank/course qualification you need in order to change units, so I'll leave that to someone else. Either way it is a lot of unnecessary work for you, your unit and the gaining unit for you to apply to a different unit when you really want something else. You may find you can't even switch over for awhile and you will stuck doing something you don't want to do.  Plus you will be taking a spot away from someone who wants to actually do the job.

Figure out if the unit is hiring at the moment. That being said, even if the unit is hiring It will be quite unlikely that your file will be processed in time for a summer BMQ plus your unit may not have enough spots. Call the recruiter each day (0800-1600), several times a day leave a voicemail, email them.  But again, I just would not advise joining a unit for the sake of joining.

Cheers and Good luck.

Edit:Spelling.

If I'm not mistaken, Naval Reservists do a full-time 13 wk BMQ course, whereas Army Reservists do either weekend BMQ for a few months (21-22 days total, can be every weekend or every 2nd), or an approximately 1 month full-time BMQ in the summer months. Army Reservists then take the 20-day Solder Qualification course. Navy Res does what forces.ca is referring to as Naval environment training, though the name may have changed. MOS training should be the same for both environments.

I cannot speak for the Naval Reserve, but Air Reserve personnel are trained to Reg F standards.

Back