• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NE Tech Training after BMQ. Is it at CFFS or CFNES or Both?

Dunner

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am off to bmq in a few days and was wondering if someone could tell me where I will end up after basic.  The website says that my technical training will take place at CFNES. However, I have heard mixed reports as to whether or not the technical training is offered at CFFS Esquimalt as well.

Does CFFS Esquimalt provide the technical training for my trade?

Thanks,

Academic training is all done in Halifax.  CPF class equipment packages are done in Halifax.  280 class equipment packages are done in Esquimalt.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by CPF class or 280 Class.

Are you able to fill me in on what the training looks like? The website says 64 weeks. Is this broken up into semesters or does it mean I will be away from my family for over a year.

Dunner said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by CPF class or 280 Class.

Are you able to fill me in on what the training looks like? The website says 64 weeks. Is this broken up into semesters or does it mean I will be away from my family for over a year.

CPF = Canadian Patrol Frigate, or Halifax class.

280 = Iroquois class destroyers

Each has its own unique equipment, although there is some common equipment between them.

The academic training is semestered, although you likely won't get a break between semesters unless it's for summer or Christmas leave.  I'll leave it to someone who's a little more current in the trade to advise you as to whether or not you're entitled to bring your family to Halifax at Crown cost.

Thank you for the info.

I am separated with a young dependent so I am not in a position to bring my family to Halifax.

My buddy is an NE Tech with about 10 years in and he was saying that the training has been opened up to both coasts. This was confirmed by one recruiter and discounted by another and now discounted once here on Milnet. It isn't terrible if I have to go to Halifax; It would just be nice to know if it is worth hoping for to come back to the west coast.

It's possible academic training has been opened up on the west coast...unlikely, but possible.  They did, for a while, send sailors to Camosun for their academic training to avoid having to post people east for their Journeyman training, but I think that went the way of the dodo.  I've been away from the trade for a while now so if you're patient, one of the current techs will be along and can probably add more info.

Currently, 3's (apprentice) academic training is done either in Halifax or St. John's; however, you need to apply for and be accepted to NCSTTP to go to St. John's.  There is also a system where you can do your academic training at a civilian college of your choice; however, I don't know if this has to be done before official entry to the forces or not.

5's academic training is done on your currently-posted coast.  If you are posted to a ship in Halifax, you go to CFNES Halifax; if posted to Esquimalt, Camosun college.  Most of the equipment training is done on the same coast; a shrinking amount of it is required to be taught in either Halifax (CPF) or Esquimalt (280).

Unfortunately, the information that the recruiters has is almost outdated.  According to today's career manager briefing, the new training system is standing up in September, with all new entries to the trade becoming weapon-engineering techs, which will require a lot more on-the-job training.  I don't know what that will do for the location of academic training, but most of the equipment training will happen on your ship, with your supervisor being your instructor.

lacqui said:
There is also a system where you can do your academic training at a civilian college of your choice; however, I don't know if this has to be done before official entry to the forces or not.

That's NCM-SEP, not applicable in this situation.

Occam said:
That's NCM-SEP, not applicable in this situation.

Thanks.  I couldn't remember the name, or the requirements for it.  NCSTTP is a good go if you can get it.  Just remember to spend your nights at your desk, not at the bar.  George Street can be a bit too tempting sometimes  ;)

Hi there, as a tactical tech who just finished QL3 equipment, (to my knowledge) they don't offer QL3 or the new W Eng. tech equivalent in BC. I've heard that they'll keep you out west for your QL5 training if you did your QL4 on the west coast though, and since the academics phase is supposed to be reduced for the new trade, you may not be here for very long. Also, from what I've seen, if you request to go to a west coast ship, you will. But most of my cohort requested to stay east, so that may not be true for you.

Hello Benji88,
Can I say that the new trade of WEng Tech will mostly like be posted to Halifax after BMQ?
Tkx

Hay said:
Hello Benji88,
Can I say that the new trade of WEng Tech will mostly like be posted to Halifax after BMQ?
Tkx

For trades training, yes.

By trades training do you mean solely the academic portion or also the 3+yr apprenticeship training?

The training in Halifax is your academic and some of your application phases of your QL3 trade training.  I know of some guys who finished their QL3 applications out west, but had to do a couple of systems in Halifax because they didn't have them out west.  Whether or not this carries on over with the new HCM refit gear, I do not know.  But if I were a betting man, I'd say to expect to see Halifax after BMQ for W Eng Tech, at least for the next 6-8 months of your career.

Good luck.

Rev

Back