• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Life Jacket Deployed With DART.

soldiers301

Inactive
Reaction score
Ive seen this photo on Combat Camera website, anyone have info ?

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/photoarchive/HiRes/%212005/011505/IS2005-1056a.jpg

They have been around for at least a year now.  CADPAT, some pockets (I think there is a whistle in one when the vest is new), reversible Velcro flaps on the shoulders allow for exposure of light reflective tape (as tactical & safety requirements dictate), a slip to hold your rank, and Velcro for your nametag.

. . . no, I remember now.  One of the fastex type buckels is a whistle.

MCG said:
. . . no, I remember now.   One of the fastex type buckels is a whistle.

The wistle is palce in one of the lower pockets attached by a string.  I participated in the LFTEU trials and we had just gotten them At CFSME when i left last year. They are not bad. They even have a round velcro patch for you diver types.

At CER, Cbt dvrs and boat operators got them.

Its not just a DART thing.

Armymedic said:
At CER, Cbt dvrs and boat operators got them.

Its not just a DART thing.

CERs hold life jackets for use during ALL water ops ( MR/MFB boat ops....etc) They are not only for divers and boat op.  CFSME has over a hundered of them as the staff and students are required by the trg safety pam to wear them.  Same applies to CERs.  Not sure of other combat arms units will hold them as well but i'm sure they are avail for loan if doing water ops.

Used them this summer @ CFSME...pretty nice.  Multiple sizes and reflective tape which can be hidden.

What was wrong with the old style of life jackets? Why are these new ones in CADPAT? not too many forests out on the water. And I'm sure it took an inordinate amount of money to design and produce.

Hi Cooper,

I've used both and the old life jackets were of moderate quality and the ones we had were breaking down, also old ones were not actually "approved" flotation devices or life jackets.

No forests out on the water but there is time spent on shore where camo may be helpful.

Flat green colour when in the water may have been ok but if our kit is CADPAT why not try to get it all the same?

I don't know what it cost to develop this piece of kit but I like it, better than what we had.

I also find it gives you more freedom to move.

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Training/Bridge_Rap_1.jpg

I actually saw some on the floor at a building that we were doing some temporary training in last week, and I went over and looked at them. Didn't pick them up, mind you, just looked at them.  They had about 4 or 5 pockets of varying sizes, and were in different sizes (S, M, L, XL is what I saw), but the one thing that I saw that I really liked, is that they were made by Mustang.  And, that impressed me, that the CF was getting a world recognized company to make at least THIS piece of safety gear.

They looked pretty cool, too, like a sort of a cross between a watersport jacket (like for SEADOOing) and a fisherman's vest.  And I think that they had the side adjustment straps like a civilian model.

Quentin

Mustang not only made the life jacket for the CF. Air Matress, Navy Crewman Coat...Even the old life jacket. 

The also make the old green floater coat and they make its CADPAT replacement

I was talking about the coat...you know, the one with a collar and sleeves. Used to be green now it will be CADPAT.   I thought you guys were refering to the life vest in the picture that started this thread and its ancient predecesor that was olive green. If i knew how to post a pic, i would so we could be on the same freq.
You see on the left 2 of my students wearing the new CADPAT lifejacket and on the right you see 2 of my instructors wearing the olive floater coat that will be replaced by a CADPAT version.  At the time i was course NCO for the PBO course (0301) it still hadnt come to service.  Both are made by Mustang.

Back