• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New, Long time lurker, very specific credit ERCquestion (recruiter if possible)

Nfarider

Inactive
Reaction score
My apologies, I have searched and read all threads relating to this matter, I have also spoken with as many recruiters as I could find here in Calgary. I am hoping someone has had experience or knows that this may work. I have college debts, as do many, they are in collections, as are some. I have selected the avenue of making a Consumer Proposal under the bankruptcy and insolvency act. I understand the CF wishes to see that I have addressed my debts, resolved my debts, or any other choice words. Threads of bad credit are plentiful, but none specifically mention a Consumer Proposal. This is a court mandated, legal proposal, bound by the courts, that which force you to make regular payments to a trustee. This is an alternative to personal bankruptcy, which I am aware would delay the process whilst awaiting discharge, my way does not require any discharge. I am sincerely hoping someone has come across such a thing, and can tell me whether or not my initiative to begin said process, and the fact that it is legally structured, would be an acceptable approach, and grant me reliable. I am clear in all other aspects, and am awaiting medical and interview. I beg of you to not attack, read FAQ's, search posts, or go to my RC and ask, because all of these have been done. This community is my greatest hope for a straight forward answer.

Merci, 

The most recent post by someone describing their experience in demonstrating their actions to show that they had their debt problems under control is here.

They may have had a different solution, but the CFRC responded positively to the fact that the individual was tackling the problem and had a plan to resolve it.

Thank you, I must have missed that last page. I do want to try and clarify something. One mentioned that security clearance is determined by Ottawa, and reliability check can be decided by a recruiter or atleast on a more individual basis?

All Reliability Status and Security Clearance checks are completed in Ottawa, but the recruiting centers have some responsibilities when it comes to Reliability Status.

The recruiting centers, under certain circumstances, will have to perform their own checks and send the results to Ottawa.

Nfarider:

Enhanced Reliability and Security Checks are governed by legislation and/or regulations as they are completed.  Security checks are wholly in the security architecture of the government and CFRG has no discretion in this regard.  For the reliability, there are a number of guidelines and directives that pertain and given that every individual is different, verified personal circumstances are often taken into account both at the level of the Commanding Officer and Commander depending on the issue.

Bottom line: as usual - make your application, provide as much information as you can and we will review your file as a whole.

I would be more than happy to answer.  You must be free from all Legal obligations. ie any thing from the court system.  But don't let that be a deal breaker.  The MOC has the Final say in everything and it will come.

bradlupa said:
I would be more than happy to answer.  You must be free from all Legal obligations. ie any thing from the court system.  But don't let that be a deal breaker.  The MOC has the Final say in everything and it will come.

That's mostly correct.  Bankruptcy and Consumer Proposals are special cases, though.  In the former, one's involvement with the court is done when one is discharged nine months after applying.  In the latter case, once a Consumer Proposal has been accepted by all creditors, one would also consider the involvement with the courts to be finished.

You may need to get the Trustee in Bankruptcy to provide a letter clarifying your legal status to the Recruiting Centre.

For what it's worth - there are plenty of serving personnel with bankruptcies and consumer proposals behind them, who have Top Secret (and higher) security clearances.  There's nowhere near the stigma attached to bankruptcy/consumer proposals as there used to be, and that was what posed a security risk.

Back