• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new recruit - Sniper - ?

jabraun

Inactive
Reaction score
hey i know you've prolly seen this asked 100 times however im going to ask again plz bare with me.I have done my "career" matching research on the recruiting webpage and the only career i am interested in is the "infantry soldier" however when i read about it they say you can recieve "advanced" training and name a few things like sniper etc that you can get out of taking the advanced training...is this advanced training the same as like special forces for the american army? If so I would like to do my basic etc then do this ASAP. The way that i believe is that if i do something i want to be the best at it so id like to map my "career" to do just that so any info on this would be great, it may be hard training etc BUT if someone can help me with what i need to map out to achieve this goal i will sign the line and join the canadian army

Sniper is not a special forces course. you can take it once you've got the pre-requisit courses. I you do want to go the special forces root you need to wait two years apon joining and apply. Better be in good mental and physical health thought.

friend told me in the american army you normally have to wait 2 yrs to apply for but said they have a new thing now that you can join right off the batonce you finish basic, qualification thing etc, so basically once ia pply for infantry soldier do all my training etc 2 yrs later ic an apply for special forces ?

Here you will have to wait your 2 years. But during that time you can take many intresting course like machine gunner, a jump course, mortar crew, stuf like that. all of which would help with your future career goals

We've been asked it 1000 times and spell please as such ;)

Most people who ask the same questions as you are very anxious to get all the training as fast as possible.   Thats not gonna happen. The odd time you'll join and might get lucky and put on one of these courses BUT theres a long list of people ahead of you to get on them. Some of the guys waiting on these courses have been waiting a while too so chances are they will get the course first. Which is only fair.

The waiting is so bad some people will wait half a year or a year just to get their infantry course alone, getting advanced training is going to take longer. Not trying to bash your hopes just being realistic. Theres no real short cuts in this game.

This is the same answer we give to everyone else. Consintrate on getting IN the army, then consintrate on being a very good infantry soldier. If your higher ups see that you have what it takes to go on these courses they will offer it to you.

Getting through infantry school can take a while.

We just did it and mine took 9mon16d from the point of going to St. Jean for BMQ and graduating from BIQ in Wainwright and going to Battallion. We went on summer leave a few days after getting there and once we got back I was put on a DP2A course becuase training cycle was underway. We -may- get our jump course in November if we're lucky but if no spots are available then it'll be in January.

It's also hard to 'map' your career as for what courses you -are- going to take because you may have to go on an Ex or be deployed on an Op when the course you would like is being held. Also, when you're new you take courses your coy needs you take or wants you to take and all you can do is request what you would like. Problem is that is that I know all the new guys in my coy have req'd basic recce, basic jump, and all the standard 'switched on' courses just as everyone did before us. It's your performance while you are there and how lucky you are to be in the right place at the right time that can plop you in some pretty sweet places.

If you are interested in the 'Tom Clancey' sort of media-hyped SF stuff, then the only short term cure for it is to enjoy the FIBUA/OBUA training even in a BIQ course.

Just my few rubles
-Spooks

ahhh well whats the best to aim for as a infantry soldier, I dont even know the name for the "elite" canadian army...squads,groups,battalions or whatever , i just know that i refuse to be working in a office gossiping by the water coolers...I know there are some things that I should do before asking this such as doing basic, etc but since i want some info im gonna ask;d one last question is if you get into one of these "elite" units are your chances of being deployed somewhere high?

The Canadian "special forces" are the JTF2.  As for deployment, as far as I know, that's all they do.  Train and deploy, train and deploy, train and deploy (on a moment's notice likely).  Correct me if I am wrong.

Yea as far as I know JTF 2 is Canada's only SOF. For more information on them visit http://www.forces.gc.ca/dcds/units/jtf2/default_e.asp hope it helps, gl.

jabraun,

you might want to review some of the threads linked from the Infantry FAQ: http://army.ca/forums/threads/17067.0.html

There is a section on JTF-2 as well as other "high speed" training options. But take Spooks' comments to heart, don't try to plan your training career, you can't second guess the task and opportunitues you will have. Take things one step at a time, and for now, just concentrate on being ready for BMQ.

Back