• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Mass Memorials at Fort Lewis

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

No Mass Memorials at Fort Lewis
Associated Press, 26 Jul 07
Article link

FORT LEWIS, Wash. - Fort Lewis will hold individual memorials for fallen Soldiers rather than a monthly mass ceremony, which had sparked outrage earlier this year, the commanding general of the Army base's I Corps said Wednesday.

The base has traditionally held individual memorials, typically for one or two Soldiers at a time. But an increase in Soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan forced the base in May to start holding services for multiple Soldiers at a time.

Critics said mass memorials denied Soldiers the individual tributes they deserved.

Lt. Gen. Charles H. Jacoby Jr., who took over in June, put the policy change on hold, saying he wanted time to discuss the matter with Soldiers, their families, Army retirees and others in the community.

"I wanted to be very deliberate in my approach because this is an issue that is important to all of us," Jacoby said during a meeting with reporters Wednesday.

For now, Fort Lewis will hold all memorials on Wednesdays - a choice aimed at helping the community plan for the services and making it easier for faraway relatives to book affordable airplane tickets, Jacoby said. He also noted Wednesdays would not likely conflict with holidays.

About 10,000 of Fort Lewis' 28,000 Soldiers are now serving in Iraq, roughly 8,000 of them from the 3rd and 4th Stryker brigades.

The base has lost 141 Soldiers in Iraq since the war started in March 2003 and nine in Afghanistan since that war began in October 2001, Fort Lewis spokesman Joe Hitt said Wednesday.

Back