• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No sure if this is a problem or not.

badsector

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, here is the deal.  I just got informed I got an interview for the Pickering Fire Dept as a volunteer Fire Fighter (which is good).  The problem is that after 3 - 6 months they give you a full time position and then you start shift work.  I will be working some weekends for sure once I start fulltime, but I will also be (hopefully) in the reserves by then.  My question is if my shift lands on one of the weekends I am suppose to serve am I screwed or can you pick what weekends you go in? 

Thanks  :cdn:

Hopefully your unit will provide you with a calender showing the year's training days, and weekends (I am assuming you are talking about the reserves).

Once you get the schedule from the FD, request to see your first person in your chain of command (Section commander), and explain to him your situation.  One solution is you can fill in leave forms for the conflicting days.

I am sure you can work it out.  There are plenty of people that have had juggle jobs with shift work, and the military.  I just advise you to not over tax yourself, as you may grow tired of both and not be able to enjoy you time.

dileas

tess

Thanks for the advice.  The thing is; even when I am employed full time, fire fighters still only work 150 days a year so I will have plenty of time to do both.

And yes I'm talking about the reserves with the 48th.  :cdn:

Back