• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Valid References

Reaction score
Hi,

I emailed this question to my recruiting office three days ago but have not received a reply, so I am wondering if any of you could please provide some guidance.

I have a pending application (e.g., ready for testing), but I have no valid references. Graduating high school in 2019, I have unfortunately lost contact with my teachers and friends. I was also a full-time university student (graduated 2024), but due to Covid and other reasons, was unable to connect with professors and other people. In terms of work, I have been working for my family business, so I cannot use them either.

I am really interested in joining the Naval Experience Program, as it piqued my interest, subsequently pursuing a career in the Navy. This is my dream, so I would please appreciate any guidance or advice. I am eager to contribute to the best of my abilities.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hi,

I emailed this question to my recruiting office three days ago but have not received a reply, so I am wondering if any of you could please provide some guidance.

I have a pending application (e.g., ready for testing), but I have no valid references. Graduating high school in 2019, I have unfortunately lost contact with my teachers and friends. I was also a full-time university student (graduated 2024), but due to Covid and other reasons, was unable to connect with professors and other people. In terms of work, I have been working for my family business, so I cannot use them either.

I am really interested in joining the Naval Experience Program, as it piqued my interest, subsequently pursuing a career in the Navy. This is my dream, so I would please appreciate any guidance or advice. I am eager to contribute to the best of my abilities.

You literally have no friends or neighbours?

Hi,

You need to find 3 references who can speak to your work ethic covering the last 5 years. They don't need to hang out with you on weekends, or be your biggest fan, but someone who can say "BurnerAccount429 was my student from 2022-2024 and did their work on time. No behavioural problems. Welcome in my class again", and then someone else to say, "BurnerAccount429 worked for us in 2021 and was an OK worker with no conflicts". And lastly "BurnerAccount429 was my student from 2020-2022, and was an average student. unremarkable."

They don't have to be superstar reports, but basically something that says that remember seeing you, they were not unhappy with you, or they were sad to see you leave, etc.

If you cannot find 3 people who together know you from age 16 or the last 5 years, whichever comes first, then you need to work on collecting these references and can only successfully apply after you get these references.

You need to find 3 references who can speak to your work ethic covering the last 5 years. They don't need to hang out with you on weekends, or be your biggest fan, but someone who can say "BurnerAccount429 was my student from 2022-2024 and did their work on time. No behavioural problems. Welcome in my class again", and then someone else to say, "BurnerAccount429 worked for us in 2021 and was an OK worker with no conflicts". And lastly "BurnerAccount429 was my student from 2020-2022, and was an average student. unremarkable."

They don't have to be superstar reports, but basically something that says that remember seeing you, they were not unhappy with you, or they were sad to see you leave, etc.

If you cannot find 3 people who together know you from age 16 or the last 5 years, whichever comes first, then you need to work on collecting these references and can only successfully apply after you get these references.
Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your help and the information you provided.

Have a nice day.

"BurnerAccount429 is one of the rare people who can spell and use 'piqued' correctly, and has an excellent sense of humour. I therefore heartily, and without reservation, recommend him/her/it for enrollment in the Canadian Armed Forces."​

Now you only need two more . . .

Back