• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NOTC Venture - NETP-O

MSEintrg

Inactive
Reaction score
I'll be doing NETP-O starting June 1st this year and I was wondering what the accommodations were like for this course. As in, compared to St. Jean - rules, is there internet or cable, anything else to keep in mind? You're probably saying "You'll find out in a couple days buddy" lol but I'm just curious about if there's internet anywhere so I can keep in touch with family. Cheers!

You'll most likely be staying in the Kingsmill building. It's pretty swanky. Rooms are grouped into pods of two, with you sharing a sitting area, TV, mini-fridge, and of course, bathroom, with one other person.

Rules-wise, it's not all that bad. There's the occasional inspection, which they generally do just by having the accommodations officer let herself into the room while you're in class. They're looking for cleanliness. Just keep the bed made (And no, you shouldn't need hospital corners or anything like that), don't leave any food laying out, keep garbage where it belongs, and ensure that your rooms are locked, and you should be good. They'll only move to (Or threaten to move to) full basic training style inspections if there's an ongoing problem. There was also a no-alcohol rule for the building when I was there.

Venture also has one of the best cafeterias around. Seriously, you'll be eating rather well while you're there.

And yes, you can get internet / cable while there. If I recall correctly, the cable was included already, whereas the internet we had to arrange for / pay for ourselves.

And of course, the standard disclaimer. This information was accurate as of Jan 2006. Things may very well have changed. Your mileage may vary.

I believe the NETP-O's usually stay in one of the older buidlings nowadays like Rainbow Block unless there is extra space in the Kingsmill.

Snakedoc said:
I believe the NETP-O's usually stay in one of the older buidlings nowadays like Rainbow Block unless there is extra space in the Kingsmill.

Ahhh that's no fun. And now that you mention it, I do recall that things around Venture are much busier in the summer months. What with the combination of reservists training, and ROTP students like the OP squeezing training in when they can.

If you are in one of the older buildings, obviously my first paragraph will be invalid, and probably the third as well. 2nd might still be applicable. Depends on policy changes at NOTC and your course staff for the most part methinks.

Hey thanks guys,

Kind of bummed about the setting-up-your-own internet thing. I'm only there for 9 weeks, so probably not worth it. I appreciate the intel though!

If memory serves, Kingsmill has a room with internet access on the first deck - besides, you will inevitably meet people who are there longer term who will have access in their rooms - some may even be wireless and willing to share the connection with you. At the very least you aren't in the boonies - you can get access in myriad places nearby.  ;D

Cronicbny said:
If memory serves, Kingsmill has a room with internet access on the first deck - besides, you will inevitably meet people who are there longer term who will have access in their rooms - some may even be wireless and willing to share the connection with you. At the very least you aren't in the boonies - you can get access in myriad places nearby.  ;D

That's right, a good place with access is the Esquimalt library not too far away if memory serves correctly.

Back