• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'Older' games on newer OSs

Pat in Halifax

Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
I run an old Combat Flight Simulator (WWII Europe Series) and it works great but if I try to make it work with a joystick-no joy. I have tried this with a couple joysticks to no avail. I am able to install it and set it up (calibrate it) 'inside' the game but it doesn't show as a controller under 'options' and therefore doesn't work. I am wondering if there is any correlation between the game being older (1998) and using WIN7/VISTA operating systems?
Is there a 'patch' I can download or am I hooped?

thanks.

PS, I don't play video games persee but I do like this one on occasion and my niece bought me a joystick for it.

I need more info.  You can detect and calibrate it in game, yet it won't work in game because you cannot select it? I am missing a part of this problem I think.

PM me on here and I'll see if I can help you through this.  I use a good joystick setup for ARMA III and will be using it for Elite: Dangerous when it comes out, so don't mind helping someone else dig into this.  Besides, I used to play a lot of classic flight sims (Aces of the Pacific / Aces of Europe, Jane's ATF, Air Warrior III, Jane's Long Bow, Falcon 4.0, B-17.... and then I became an Inf O...) with my Uncle so I'd be all for helping ya out.

Try running it through DosBox http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1. Not sure about the joystick issue but sometimes with older games you need to dumb down your computer a bit. DosBox is great for that. I play the V4V series, great game BTW, using it.

Pat in Halifax said:
I run an old Combat Flight Simulator (WWII Europe Series) and it works great but if I try to make it work with a joystick-no joy. I have tried this with a couple joysticks to no avail. I am able to install it and set it up (calibrate it) 'inside' the game but it doesn't show as a controller under 'options' and therefore doesn't work. I am wondering if there is any correlation between the game being older (1998) and using WIN7/VISTA operating systems?
Is there a 'patch' I can download or am I hooped?

thanks.

PS, I don't play video games persee but I do like this one on occasion and my niece bought me a joystick for it.

If company that made the game still exists, they may have made a patch for more modern OS's (but it's a small may).  You can either try to find an emulator (like DosBox), or set up a virtual machine, that runs the appropriate OS.

Back