• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Operation Transition - 30 day admin entitlement upon release

Haggis said:
Make sure your first booked appointment is with clothing stores.  Then, come in to work in civvies every day thereafter.

Except you keep your DEUs - so they'll want him in 3Bs every day then...

dapaterson said:
I can always count on you to rip the silver lining out of the cloud. ;D

I believe the OP is an Armd Corps  Reservist which means he will be required to turn in his regimental accouterments and be unable to wear DEU properly.

Haggis said:
I can always count on you to rip the silver lining out of the cloud. ;D

I believe the OP is an Armd Corps  Reservist which means he will be required to turn in his regimental accouterments and be unable to wear DEU properly.

With "911" in their user name, my bet is that they're a Supply Technician...

dapaterson said:

Milhouser911
https://army.ca/forums/members/17711

dapaterson said:

Sorry I gave them to the good will.

Brutal.  Sure this isn't an isolated case of f*&ery and at least one will go to the press.  Not really surprised as how something as simple as BEARDFORGEN was not rolled out at the unit level as per direction; some CO/RSM heads need to roll.

This should just be a 30 day admin leave period and the units can go fly a kite.

Milhouser911 said:
, I will be required to report to work every day, in uniform, during all regular working hours unless I have identified an appointment to them in advance.
Whether in uniform, or civvies , or coveralls , it sounds like a pretty boring way to spend your last 30 days. ( When not busy doing admin, of course. )

dapaterson said:

Yup.. I should never post when sun f*cked and unable to read.

Milhouser911 said:
Here's some cynicism for you:  After being contacted and corrected by the transition centre, my CoC has decided that even though I cannot be employed, I will be required to report to work every day, in uniform, during all regular working hours unless I have identified an appointment to them in advance.

They wanted to say no (In fact they did say no, and that they didn't support my original request in any way), were told they HAD to say yes, and then worked hard to ensure that the difference between "yes" and "no" was minimal.

I'm fucking done with this unit.  I will never regret leaving this particular hole and its incompetent, selfish, malicious denizens.

Ask to speak to the CO directly.  Have a copy of the policy in hand.  Depends on how important this is to you...I know what I'd do personally...but I agree with going back to the TC, or you could ask to speak to the 'next level up' in the COfC.

I'm hoping the dumb ignorant fuck who made this 'decision' isn't the CO, and that the CO will correct the direction if he/she is made aware of it.  But...unfortunately I've been around long enough to have memory of people in command positions who were nicknamed "Capt Sobel" as well.

Now that we're a few months further down the road with this order, I'm curious about individual experiences with the management of it - how did it look for you?

The wording is pretty clear that you're not to be given work, duty or tasks but it leaves a lot open to interpretation about where your actual place of duty is from day to day.

- Were you required to be present in your unit daily and permitted to take care of your admin as required?
- If you weren't required to be present in your unit daily, what reporting requirements did you have (if any)?

[quote author=Relick]

The wording is pretty clear that you're not to be given work, duty or tasks but it leaves a lot open to interpretation about where your actual place of duty is from day to day.[/QUOTE]

I thought this was the case too but listening to a colonel involved with this stuff (name escapes me for now) he was saying members will report to their unit lines during this administration month to be accounted for. If they have appointments, briefs or other release related admin they they will not be tasked during that time so they could attend.

It sounded like he was saying members who don't have appointments on a given day are fully able to be employed by their chain of command.  It's not a leave you alone for 30 days type thing.

Jarnhamar said:
It sounded like he was saying members who don't have appointments on a given day are fully able to be employed by their chain of command.  It's not a leave you alone for 30 days type thing.

Jesus Christ.  I can't see how the direction could be any clearer.  Am I mental or something?

In accordance with Operation TRANSITION direction, all members shall be granted 30 calendar days prior to the date of release to concentrate solely on transition activities and release administration during which they are unavailable for tasking or employment within unit. The focus must be on enabling them to complete ALL ADMINSTRATIVE ASPECTS PRIOR TO THEIR RELEASE.

Eye In The Sky said:
I can't see how the direction could be any clearer.  Am I mental or something?

The direction is clear on WHAT the member is to be doing, and that the unit can't employ the member.  It ISN'T clear on where the member is supposed to be during the work day and not actively engaged in transition activities such as an appointment.  Nor is it clear on whether the member needs to remain accountable to their supervisor even if that means an email or a text every couple of days saying "I'm still alive and progressing my transition checklist."

As a supervisor, I haven't had to support anyone transitioning out, and I can't say that I'm particularly clear on that point should any of my people be in the position of asking for the 30 days.  While I know what _I_ would do, that doesn't mean that my personal interpretation of it is correct or the intent.  (I'd be happy with regular check ins by text, or stop into the office to let me know how it's going while your out and about between appointments.)

As someone who will be retiring in a few months, I'm not clear on what my rights are in regards to this in the event that my supervisor/unit doesn't share my interpretation.

Hence, I'm interested in hearing from people who have taken or supported someone taking the 30 days and how it was managed.

Eye In The Sky said:
Jesus Christ.  I can't see how the direction could be any clearer.  Am I mental or something?

You're just not a full colonel  ;)

Relick said:
The direction is clear on WHAT the member is to be doing, and that the unit can't employ the member.  It ISN'T clear on where the member is supposed to be during the work day and not actively engaged in transition activities such as an appointment.  Nor is it clear on whether the member needs to remain accountable to their supervisor even if that means an email or a text every couple of days saying "I'm still alive and progressing my transition checklist."

For the average member, I'd tell them "your 30 days starts on Date X..if you need anything daily, contact me.  Please send me a quick SITREP each Friday to let me know where you are in the process". 

That is all I need to do to keep track...or something as simplistic as that.  If the mbr can't be employed/tasked by the unit (which clearly they can't), do I REALLY care about where they are daily if they aren't at a specific appointment?  Not really.  Their sole focus is release activities.  There will be some members who might need to be more closely monitored or assisted;  medical releases (injured), etc. 

Like...BEARDFORGEN....BOOTFORGEN...leave passes for weekends inside Canada...COs really need to just follow direction already decided and published by their superior officers.  When it comes time for my release, trust me, I will have zero issues telling anyone "no you can't" if they tell me they can task me/employ me during my last 30 days (assuming the policy is written as it is now).  What are they going to do? Give me an IC?  An adverse PDR? 

Jarnhamar said:
You're just not a full colonel  ;)

Yah...it stops me from seeing that clause "COs can do whatever they want!" that is written in invisible ink on every policy, reg and pub in the CAF.

Back