• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Perhaps NCM is the way to go...

ThainC

Inactive
Reaction score
Soon going to be coming upon the year mark since I first put in my papers to become an Infantry Officer.  A few weeks ago I was told the trade was filled up and given other options.  Among them was to become an Infantry Soldier instead of an Officer.  Not exactly what I had originally in mind, but at this rate, I'm seriously starting to contemplate it.  I wrote a few posts about the rather long process I've gone through, and the ups and downs, and at this point I'm thinking it may just be quicker to go the NCM road - especially since I was told I could have a job offer in twenty minutes if I selected that trade.  Also considering resuming my RCMP application.  Not really sure where I stand on the matter, just sort of writing it here for shit and giggles sake I guess.

ThainC.

Have you thought about perhaps Armoured/Combat Engineer/Artillery Officer at all??

Don't know your personal situation but I do know many NCM's who have college or university education and enjoy their occupations . Go with what you want to do, something you have a strong interest in and you will do fine in any career choice you make. Don't grab the first available occupation. If your recruiting file is still open and you have improved your education, have some volunteer activities  or made any improvements that may make your file stronger ask for an update interview. The stronger file the better your chance.  If you applied for ROTP stay in school and bring each semester's marks in. ROTP isn't just for the first year of university.  You can also ask to see a MCC (usually a Capt, not a clerk or recruiter Sgt)) and find out what you must do to improve your chances.  Keep trying as the new allocation of vacancies arrive with the new fiscal year on 1 April.

I have thought about that MRM, but I just like the idea of playin' in the dirt too much.  In all honesty, there is just something about Infantry that has my attention.  As for my education, I'm a third year university student with a joint BA program.  I'm not saying anything to the fact that I have an education, and thus should not be an NCM.  Not at all.  I'm HONESTLY not sure what it is... I think I just enjoyed the idea of responsibility as an Officer.  I honestly do mean I'm considering NCM, not necessarily because of how long it's been (though that is ONE factor), but also because I want to BE out there.  Just not sure how long it'll take to actually gain some responsibility.

I'm rambling, even I recognize it.  I'm just sort of lost in thought about what I hope to do.  I did request to see an MCC, if only to bounce my thoughts, ideas, and ambitions off of and get some perspective.  I've continued my education, I've more volunteer experience than I know what to do with (including a LOT of work with the RCMP).  Both of you have given good advice, I think it's just a matter of me really REALLY thinking about it all now, taking it all in, and deciding on what I want to do with my future.

ThainC.

Best of luck. We need people who think things through. Follow your heart,  Best of luck to you whatever your decision.

For what it's worth...

I reopened my file for DEO Infantry in Nov.06 and during my interview, I was told that I should consider armour or arty officer.  Like you, I'm pretty well set on infantry officer but at the beginning I was really drawn to Combat Engineer as an NCM (even now that option is still in the back of my head). So far my file went through the officer selection board in January but I haven't received any news.  I'm not sure how fast offers are given or if there are any offers to give in the first place. I just check this site once in a while to see if someone else has received an offer for officer training from the January board. In the meantime, I also have an RCMP application in the running. I'm just waiting for my test results to finally come in.

If you go NCM, you'll be picked up right away. At 24 years old you can go in for a while as an NCM and maybe in a few years try to get into officer training. If you decide on infantry officer and are willing to wait some more, continue your RCMP application. It doesn't hurt to keep your options open.

Either way, there are others in the same boat as you.

You are 3rd year, The reason you are getting beat out is there are other candidates with full degrees. They want you to finish yours before they will accept you.

It is tough but you have to hold out for what you want. We are talking about two completely different paths of life. To have the choice is wonderful :)

Good Luck

recruitment process may some time be very long...

Do what you feel like doing...even if it takes 2 years...It cannot be that long...with your university...time passes as a nap in those time.

If you really want to be an officer then wait. Every things is worth waiting and every comes when it is due to come.

:)

Back