• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pipe Bands

Conscript

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok simple question I think.  I assume theres 1 or 2 military pipe bands floating around so my question is,  Do you need to enlist as a musician to play in one?

Any other info on this topic would be great too.

No.  Some of the bands will take people who are not musicians by trade.  I know a few guys in the 2 CMBG Pipes and Drums who are Engineers.

PMedMoe said:
No.  Some of the bands will take people who are not musicians by trade.  I know a few guys in the 2 CMBG Pipes and Drums who are Engineers.

Good to hear, thanks for the quick reply!

The Regular Force pipe bands are all volunteer organizations; that is, they are not the primary duty of those involved.

The Reserves have both volunteer bands and dedicated bands; in the latter, the members are military musicians.

dapaterson said:
The Regular Force pipe bands are all volunteer organizations; that is, they are not the primary duty of those involved.

The Reserves have both volunteer bands and dedicated bands; in the latter, the members are military musicians.

So basicly when I join Reg I just show up with my pipes and see if they want me?

Conscript said:
So basicly when I join Reg I just show up with my pipes and see if they want me?

Depending on where you end up; there are a lot of volunteer bands across Canada, both Civlian/Military as well as Regular and Reserve.

If you're keen on ensuring where you go has a band, do some research... there's lots of info on the forums here, just search around.

Keep piping.

:piper:

I know that the 413 Wing AFAC Band is always looking and they teach too.  (small plug for my band, just a newb piper)  and the 8 Wing band is always looking for pipers and this year they will be teaching.  There's P&D bands everywhere.

:piper:

400 Squadron's most excellent band is made up of both Reservists and civilians, and I've seen that mix elsewhere.

You can add 12 Wing in Shearwater, NS to the list too.

*DIN/DWAN/IntraNet link only*

http://shearwater.mil.ca/WING_CWO/pipesdrums.asp

Loachman said:
400 Squadron's most excellent band is made up of both Reservists and civilians, and I've seen that mix elsewhere.
They have a great new drum major too... :piper:

I would hazard a guess that most bases/wings have P&D and brass bands. :piper:

If you do a search of the DHH Music site they list these as the pipe and drum bands in the CF.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/musi/bd-am/index-eng.asp?province=&Type=2&Component=&Status=&Name=&btnSubmit=Search
List of Bands:

12 Wing Pipes and Drums
14 Wing Pipes and Drums
1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders Band (North) Band **
2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group of Canada Band
26 Field Regiment RCA Band
2nd Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders (Cape Breton) Band **
2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Band
4 Wing Pipes and Drums
400 Tactical Helicopter Squadron Band
402 Squadron Pipes and Drums
48th Highlanders of Canada Pipes & Drums