• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Plyometrics Anyone?

Rinker

Inactive
Reaction score
I have recently done a good 1 1/2 plyometrical workout and holy @#($. It was awesome felt like I was sprinting uphill forever. But I don't have a huge selection of workouts to do. I searched around on the internet for awhile but there was not many high intensity ones to choose from. So was just wondering if anybody had some good workout routines and or a high intensity plymetrical (manoeuvre?)?

( Milnet staff I am new here and looked around for this but there was none that were solely dedicated to plyometrics it isn't even in the spellchecker)

What is your goal/objective? This is the first time I've heard of Plyometrics. I'm not much of a PT scientist, I just run and ski pretty much but I browse these boards from time to time looking for the magic PT bullet.

Great!!! Do you name your workouts after some female??  Is it like Cross-Fit or the same, just a different name. Do we have to put up with a cabalstic following of your regime in order to achieve enlitenment?

I used a plyometric workout called Air Alert 3 when I was playing high level volleyball, added 6 inches to my vertical jump in about 6 weeks and was great for cardio. You can purchase it online for pretty cheap, or I'm sure you could pirate it somewhere, not that I would advocate anything like that.

From what I've read online I think plyometric is just a fancy name for explosive strength exercises like clapping pushups (or even clapping pull ups if you're good).

RE: the magic PT bullet
GDawg you should check out Ross Enamait's articles and blog (ie. The Endless Search). This guy just advocates hardwork and having fun, no pressure on following his specific training, and pretty inspirational guy.

recceguy said:
Great!!! Do you name your workouts after some female??  Is it like Cross-Fit or the same, just a different name. Do we have to put up with a cabalstic following of your regime in order to achieve enlitenment?

Do you ever add anything productive to a thread or do you just go around and post your more of your inane comments on things you don't like?  We get it you don't like Crossfit for whatever reason, just give it up already.  It kinda goes to the whole professional thing, if you don't have anything productive to add or it is outside your lane just refrain from posting.

Rinker said:
I have recently done a good 1 1/2 plyometrical workout and holy @#($. It was awesome felt like I was sprinting uphill forever. But I don't have a huge selection of workouts to do. I searched around on the internet for awhile but there was not many high intensity ones to choose from. So was just wondering if anybody had some good workout routines and or a high intensity plymetrical (manoeuvre?)?

( Milnet staff I am new here and looked around for this but there was none that were solely dedicated to plyometrics it isn't even in the spellchecker)

Rinker,

Jumping into Plyometrics is a great book for getting into plyometrics.  Most libraries I have found have it so no need to buy it.

Online I've used http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometric.html for rugby to design practice sessions.  It has a bunch of great multi sport breakdowns and pretty good explanations of each exercise.

MJP said:
Do you ever add anything productive to a thread or do you just go around and post your more of your inane comments on things you don't like?  We get it you don't like Crossfit for whatever reason, just give it up already.  It kinda goes to the whole professional thing, if you don't have anything productive to add or it is outside your lane just refrain from posting.

We all have our crosses to bear.  ;) :-*

Sigh I guess the site guidelines are just for the peons......... Anyway ignore button is on prattle away RG.

recceguy probably doesn't like that it is more of an athletic workout. Yea I am pretty sure it is a fancy name for explosive training and as for the book jumping into plyometrics, I'll have to look into it. As for adding some height to my jump, that could be useful.

If anyone wants to look inside of the book http://www.amazon.com/Jumping-into-Plyometrics-Exercises-Strength/dp/0880118466#

As for my ultimate goal, just to become in general fitter. Plus I love hockey and it is a very explosive sport. And running and rucking etc (standard military workouts) build up endurance but to have that extra umph! when you need it could be very handy whether in sport or in the field.

recceguy said:

Well, since you asked...

"Karen"

150 Wall ball shots
20lb medicine ball for 10feet of height for time

I can do one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2FmcPH64o

The above is a detailed explanation of what constitutes good and bad Wallball form. The idea is to engage major muscle groups throughout the body in the generation of explosive force.

The idea of plyo's is to relax and contract your muscles as fast as possible. Yes it is primarily for explosive strength but IMO it's something that should be added to any athlete's routine because it will make you so much more dynamic in your abilities.

A few good plyo drills are to take a small barrier, 1.5 ft high, and jump over it, back and forth, sideways, as fast as possible. Also frontwards and backwards.

Set up a few of those barriers/pylons (5-7 is a good number) and you can jump over them all front ways, sideways, backwards, and doing 180s or 90 degree turns as you jump them.

Then to add intensity, you should add some sort of drop beforehand. For example, dropping from a 1-2 foot bench and then jumping up on a 4 foot bench as fast as possible. This is a really good one but it's easy to injure yourself if you're not already physically strong.

Drills on a speed ladder are good to add to plyo routines.

Any kind of sprints are also plyometric by definition. The best sprinting drill I ever did was on a 100m track. Spring 100m, whatever it takes less than 1 min is your rest period. Then you do it again. In other words you sprint 100m every minute.

You need to be careful when doing plyometrics. Unlike most exercises, you don't just "push through" fatigue. Fatigue slows you down, if you're fatigued you're not being explosive and you're actually being counterproductive to your goals. You'll make yourself LESS explosive because you'll be training your slow-twitch muscle fibres to do the work, not your fast-twitch fibers.

Wonderbread said:
I can do one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2FmcPH64o

The above is a detailed explanation of what constitutes good and bad Wallball form. The idea is to engage major muscle groups throughout the body in the generation of explosive force.

Cheers

Plyometrics are stretching a muscle before a forceful contraction. Box jumps and medicine ball throws are examples. To make them harder use a heavier ball or jump off a higher box, pretty simple. Be sure to have an adequate training volume under you before you incorporate them into your routine as they are a great way to get injured. (They also work really well)

yea, i have a great base level of fitness, now doing to plyometrical workouts per week. Hopefully boost my cardio a lot before I head to bmq. It looks like it will help a lot on the obstacle courses as they are plyometrical

I'm not sure as to what the average time to complete the obstacle course is, but if it's longer than 20 sec, improving your anaerobic power and lactate tolerance should be your training focus.

Topper2804 said:
I'm not sure as to what the average time to complete the obstacle course is, but if it's longer than 20 sec, improving your anaerobic power and lactate tolerance should be your training focus.

What obstacle course are you trying to do in under 20 seconds?

Exactly my point. I was trying to say that while there is a place for plyometrics in a training regimen, if your goal is to improve your time on the obstacle course, then plyometrics/explosive training is not the dominant energy system and therefore does not need to be a significant part of your training re the principle of specificity.

Back