• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Potential CF Flood Relief Assistance to the Government of Alberta

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
· Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians), as the designated Immediate Reaction Unit (IRU) of 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, has been placed at a higher state of readiness. The Army has taken this step so that the IRU can respond quickly to a request from the Government of Alberta in the event it determines military assistance is needed to deal with severe flooding in the southern part of the province.  This is simply prudent military contingency planning, given the current situation in southern Alberta.

· The Army is in close communication with Emergency Measures Alberta.  We continue to monitor the situation and prepare for potential flood relief operations.  The Government of Alberta has not requested military assistance at this time.

· The Army has the people, equipment and experience to help Albertans in situations like this. In 1997, we helped Manitobans deal with the Red River flood.  In 2003, we helped British Columbians fight forest fires.  We have a proud tradition of helping fellow Canadians during domestic crises.
Needless to say, today's short day did not happen.

I might post my 2 cents on this after the op is complete (if it launches)...But it might be best to keep quiet.  A rather long day...

...And let's not forget that we were pretty darn good snow shovellers in Toronto, and crackerjack garbage men in the ice storms....

CHIMO,  Kat

Kat Stevens said:
...And let's not forget that we were pretty darn good snow shovellers in Toronto, and crackerjack garbage men in the ice storms....

CHIMO,   Kat

What about your spectacular fire-fighting skills?

and sand baggers in the floods out in the red river area

Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard of Calgary declaring a state of emergency. You should see our waterways right now... It's just shocking. I wish I could do more to help out everyone else right now.

It's rather bad here, no doubt. We were warned to take 5 minute showers or we'll have no drinking water. Apparently, if water use is unrestricted, the demand, and influence of nature, will cause the city's water supply systems to fail. High River has been flooded twice. A bridge in Fish Creek Park was washed away (I'll be checking it out on Monday), much like all the Beaver dams were last week. 2 000 people in the city have been ordered to evacuate, and berns were being built along Elbow Drive.

Quite an experience, to say the least. The Superstore at which I presently work has flooded twice, and I have heard that the roads in Bridlewood were practically impassable, too. I saw a pic in the Herald of an SUV in Medicine Hat, covered in water to the bike rack on the roof. It was on a road.

Wow, 200 people in Red Deer have been evacuated and the river is sapposed to be even higher tomorrow morning, I drove by it today and I  have never seen it higher!

I went down to Fish Creek - it was amazing. A bridge had been swept down a footpath, trees were bent against the ground, parts of the trails were blocked by debris. One of the woods in Votier's Flats looked as though Abatis had been constructed around it. There was a log in a bridge. I took a number of photographs, and I'll post them if anyone is interested (I'll need to develop them first, of course). Remarkable.

I am down in Drum and the amount the river has risen is amazing...a good 6-8 feet this morning.

Back