• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Problems with courses

21trucker

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this situation or has a solution.

I have been in the reseves since 1991, so you could say i'm old school. Under the old system, i was qualified to QL 4 MSE Op. In 2000, i took the weekend (because of work) CFJLC course to get my promotion to MCpl. About half way through the course, i was told i would need my QL 5 MSE Op in order to get promoted. I stayed with the course for obvious reasons. At that time, your field portion (6 weeks) was not required for non-combat arms. Now, i am being told that i am required to take the 6 weeks (Part 6, PLQ) in order to get promoted, yet i passed the first part no problems. Don't get me wrong, i have no problem taking the course. The problem is with my employer.

I know people are going to say thats what CFLC is for, but hear me out first.

I work for a small company (less than 10), delivering fuel. Our busiest time of the year are usually May-June and August-September. We have three fuel trucks and three drivers for those trucks, myself included. We have 1 driver dedicated to bulk lubes. The problem for me is taking the 6 weeks in the summer to go on course. I have several guys above me who take their vacation in the summer (2 weeks each). Having myself gone all summer is not going to work out. I would have to quit, which is not an option.

I have gone to my chain of command with this situation. They keep telling me they are working on it. In September, i am thinking of starting redress procedures to try and get my rank without the 6 weeks of part 6.

Just looking for ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

Is there a chance you can go on the course in the winter/spring?   Reservists can and have gone on courses with their Reg force counter parts and with PLQ being a total force course their is no difference in the length or POs.   IIRC correctly non combat arms don't even really go to the field now but rather go as far as small party taskings and then shut 'er down.

As for redressing it I think you'll find they'll squash it flat as CFJLC/PLQ is a prerequisite for appointment to MCPL.   Now if you can get the time off in the winter I don't see how your unit couldn't appoint you acting lacking on the premise you attend the course that year.

I've already tried that route (winter courses) to no avail. I am told i'm qualified CFJLC, minus Part 6. It was my understanding that non-combat arms are not required to take it unless they plan on being Sgts.

The other problem i have is getting my QL5 (again, due to work) to get my MCpl. I was qualified before they changed the rules, and now i'm not??? I was lucky enough to get 5 weeks off this summer for my 3's or 3b's or whatever they call it now, but it won't happen again. My boss changed his mind after he told me i could get the time off. I of course told him it was to late to withdraw.

:cdn:

All Army mbrs must take Mod 6. There is equivalency for the JLC, but unfortunately because you didn't have to take the JNCO, you are now between a rock and a hard place. Mod 6 will not be devolved down to the Units/Bde because of the nature of the crse. The only solution might be getting on a winter serial (more and likely a Reg F serial, but the EO/POs are the same.

Once you get either your 5s or Mod 6, you could be promoted acting/lacking, and having 2 yrs to  complete. Because of the new system , you will have verify yourself what is required for you to be promoted within your trade. Your CSM/RSM should be able to tell you. Just ensure what eqivalangy you have with your JLC, and MOD 6 is the only one required.

As a side note, this is a prime example of the stragulation of the reserves. MOD 6 was suppose to be 10 days to accommodate reservists in your postion. Some bright eyes decide to make it 26 days.

For 21truckers sake, I've split the divergent training system conversation off to a new thread.  If anyone feels they can help or comment on his problem, this is again the place to do so.

Back