• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Protestors

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Here's a quote from a government employee who witnessed a recent interaction between an elderly woman and an antiwar protester in a Vancouver Skytrain station.

There were protesters on the subway platform handing out pamphlets on the evils of Canada.  I politely declined taking one.

An elderly woman was behind me getting off the escalator and a young (20-ish) female protester offered her a pamphlet, which she politely declined.

The young protester put her hand on the old woman's shoulder as  a gesture of friendship and in a very soft voice said, "Lady, don't you care about the children of Iraq ?"

The old woman looked up at her and said, "Honey, my father died in France during World War II,  I lost my husband an RCMP officer in a violent shootout in Alberta,  and now a grandson in Afghanistan.

All three died so you could have the right to stand here and bad mouth our country. If you touch me again, I'll stick this umbrella up your ass and open it."

I'll take advantage of my limited time to say....
THREE CHEERS FOR THE OLD LADY
HUZZA HUZZA HUZZA
:cdnsalute:

I think this one can be filed in the Urban Legend bin - found something basically identical at http://indigosinsights.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_archive.html , changed to the DC Metro, Korea instead of Alberta, etc.

I love the sentiment, but it just ain't real...  ;D

I LOVE GRANDMAS!

Here's a quote from a government employee who witnessed a recent interaction between an elderly woman and an antiwar protester in a Metro station in DC:

"There were protesters on the train platform handing out pamphlets on the evils of America. I politely declined to take one. An elderly woman was behind me getting off the escalator and a young (20ish) female protester offered her a pamphlet, which she politely declined. The young protester put her hand on the old woman's shoulder as a gesture of friendship and in a very soft voice said, "Ma'am, don't you care about the children of Iraq?"

The old woman looked up at her and said, "Honey, my first husband died in France during World War II, my second husband died in Korea so you could have the right to stand here and bad mouth our country. If you touch me again. I'll stick this umbrella up your butt and open it."

For those who don't want to go to the link and find it.

Another viral lie making the rounds.

Trinity said:
Another viral lie making the rounds.

Yes don't you just HATE it when stories are told as though they actually happened?  I mean here is a story, or parable, that has a moral, but it simply isn't based on fact.   It is completely irresponsible for someone to go around repeating stories, however entertaining, in order to put forth a particular point of view.  The padre is right;  we need to steer clear of amusing parables, nothing good has ever come from them.   

>:D  (I just earned the 7th circle of hell for that post)

edited to put a ; where I had a ,

Zell_Dietrich said:
  The padre is right,  we need to steer clear of amusing parables, nothing good has ever come from them. 

I never said that. 

I can appreciate your attempt at humour as I'm sarcastic myself. :-\

However I think comparing blatant internet lies (jokes as Baden says) and
then painting the entire bible in the same light whilst totally engaging me as
the catalyst of your comments isn't appropriate. 

I.E.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

Baden  Guy said:
It's a joke people  ;)  Can't we just leave it at that. ::)
Aren't jokes meant to be funny?

Viral Urban myth more like it.

Michael O'Leary said:
But your post did not specify that you knew it was a joke or urban myth.

For the record, here's Snopes' take on it: http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/oldlady.asp

So here we go with reply #16 on a poor joke/contemporary societal comment. Personally I don't think such a casual comment is worthy of such time and thought.

When I read jokes in Reader's Digest I don't care they are " a joke or urban myth."  Such light weight comments are worth a smile or laugh but I quickly move on to some serious informative journalism, like the days edition of the G&M.

Back