• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte to Ocdt

Neogalv

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Currently i'm a Pte in the reserves and i was thinking of switching to Ocdt. I have completed my BMQ, SQ and will have my 404's in a few weeks. Is it possible to change to Ocdt? Would this be done by sending a memo up my chain of command? I've asked a few people (i.e. section commander) and no one really knows. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(and yes i have a university degree).

Since you do have a degree, that is possible.  Your CO would have to agree/sponsor you and he/she would have to want you to be an officer in his unit.  You will have to do the officer basic.

You would have to submit a memo to make the request, and then go through the Officer Selection Process - including a Regimental Board, PSO interview, etc, to determine if your unit will support you in becoming an officer.  If they accept you, and you already have a degree, you'll be commissioned as a 2Lt and sent off on course.

It is NOT a quick process, it can take a lot of time.

Redeye said:
You would have to submit a memo to make the request, and then go through the Officer Selection Process - including a Regimental Board, PSO interview, etc, to determine if your unit will support you in becoming an officer.  If they accept you, and you already have a degree, you'll be commissioned as a 2Lt and sent off on course.

I think the PSO interview and board are only required for RegF is it not?

Nope, every unit has a boarding process of some sort.  The PSO interview is part of the process too.

Redeye said:
Nope, every unit has a boarding process of some sort.  The PSO interview is part of the process too.

Go figure, in my old unit (arty) my CO asked me if I wanted to change over to officer.  I asked him what I had to do if I was interested and he said that I would have to draft a memo then be prepared for BOTC and he would take care of the rest.

Redeye said:

Would it not be slightly easier at this point, since he/she (sorry, your profile isn't complete) does not yet have a trade? I know interviews and the like are needed when CFR when you have a trade, but this would be very similar to just recruiting someone off the street to be an officer.

2fly said:
Go figure, in my old unit (arty) my CO asked me if I wanted to change over to officer.  I asked him what I had to do if I was interested and he said that I would have to draft a memo then be prepared for BOTC and he would take care of the rest.

That may well have been the Board!

In the case of my Regiment, it's really just a panel interview to recommend taking someone on as an officer.  One of my peers was a Corporal who wanted to commission, his board was convened at the top of the cliffs at Assoro, Sicily, and consisted of one question, "Do you think you could lead those men up this hill?".

Good luck with the process, and hopefully it will be swift!

Neogalv said:
Hello,

Currently i'm a Pte in the reserves and i was thinking of switching to Ocdt. I have completed my BMQ, SQ and will have my 404's in a few weeks. Is it possible to change to Ocdt? Would this be done by sending a memo up my chain of command? I've asked a few people (i.e. section commander) and no one really knows. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(and yes i have a university degree).

Some Res units do not recruit from the ranks no matter how good your potential for commissioning is while others do. Ask again your section commander what is the proper procedure and this time insist on getting a clear answer. If he does not know, it is his responsibility to ask the next level in the chain of command and get back to you with the information.

ark said:
Some Res units do not recruit from the ranks no matter how good your potential for commissioning is while others do

Would you care to elaborate???

ark said:
Some Res units do not recruit from the ranks no matter how good your potential for commissioning is while others do. Ask again your section commander what is the proper procedure and this time insist on getting a clear answer. If he does not know, it is his responsibility to ask the next level in the chain of command and get back to you with the information.

There are units that also, I'm told, do not recruit off the street.  Pretty sure the Queen's Own Rifles is one.  In either case check with your unit by making your interest known and see whether it takes you.

I have (sadly) seen this. 

Some Reserve Force Commanding Officers / Senates have an unwritten policy not to allow NCO's from their own unit to commission. 

Often it is explained this way: "In the Regular Force when a NCO becomes an Officer he is moved to a different company / regiment (although I know this is not aways true) so that he/she can start fresh.  This is impossible in Reserve Force units as the units is too small". 

I would like to say that this does not happen....  but it does. 

It might (depending on the views of the CO) require the member to apply for commissioning in another Reserve Force unit. 

Cheers,

MC

Trinity said:
Would you care to elaborate???

I personally do not know why, but I believe MedCorps posted the answer you are looking for. Also, as Redeye said, some units commission exclusively from within.

2fly said:
I think the PSO interview and board are only required for RegF is it not?
Redeye said:
In this case the initial poster never stated he was in the Cbt Arms or if he was with NavRes or ARF, thus making this assumption misguiding. Perhaps Cbt Arms have Unit Boards, but that does not mean the rest of the CF do and care should be taken to not lump every one in one small entity of the CF.

PO2FinClk said:
In this case the initial poster never stated he was in the Cbt Arms or if he was with NavRes or ARF, thus making this assumption misguiding. Perhaps Cbt Arms have Unit Boards, but that does not mean the rest of the CF do and care should be taken to not lump every one in one small entity of the CF.

I totally agree and I was in the PRes arty. :)  Every unit is different as to how they handle internal apps. Your adj should be able to guide you, if not make an appt and meet with the BPSO for guidance, they will tell you the policy as it stands right now.

PO2FinClk said:

Actually, having just recently gone through some of these processes, there are regulations.  If the person is in LFCA, then there are set out procedures in LFCADs.

George Wallace said:
Actually, having just recently gone through some of these processes, there are regulations.  If the person is in LFCA, then there are set out procedures in LFCADs.
Agreed, but my point was/is that not all pers are with LFCA or a Cbt Arm. As 2fly has stated, every unit may do things slightly differently as well as various command levels through internal directives meant to amplify on CFAO's, CBI's etc. Rather perhaps an elaboration by folks in those organizations could state how their org functions, such as yourself within LFCA. This would alleviate the impression that all of the CF addresses this matter in the same way that LFCA or a Regiment does.

Correct.  As the original author didn't identify his/her location, this topic can take several turns and "Correct information for one location" may not apply to another.  This is a matter that the author should take up with "their own RMS clerks" and seek the appropriate regulations that apply in "their location".

Back