• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Q Ray Braclet

Quackwatch

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/qray.html

Federal Trade Commission Challenges Claims That the “Balance Bracelet” Relieves Pain

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/05/maverick.htm

If it sounds too good to be true...
I know of several people who wear them...they have said they think it is psychological that they feel better but they continue to wear them for that effect.

HL

But the 5$ to 15$ ones from Chinatown or Little India in Toronto. They've been making such bracelets for centuries, maybe millennia. Traditionally made from copper, silver or seven metals mixed together, some have magnets as well(lodestone in centuries past). They are used for local relief of joint pain. I would geustimate it works in about 30 -40% of those who try it. 200$ is robbery, pretending to have invented this stuff is comical.

We should start and pin a thread on arthritis. I have had really good results with getting rid of coffee and eating alot of omega-3 and 9 with glucosamine, methylsufonylmethane MSM, and about 1200 iu of vitamin E a day. My immune response to my joints has really dropped.

My father in law wears one, says it doesn't do anything other than look pretty. He doesn't recomend wasting any money on it.....

Don't underestimate the psychological benefits, the body is a weird thing.
I'd never pay $200 for one, or even $30, but if you can find a cheap one in Chinatown or a Balti Triangle and you actually believe in the stuff it might have benefits.

You can recharge your braclete under the same pyramid that keeps your razor blades sharp! ;D

Ah, what the hey.

I just call the mothership for a boost of positronic ions beamed directly into my magical braclet...then it's back to Narnia.

As irritating as it is alot of this tin foil hat stuff turns out to be true. Maybe 30%, which is actually too much to be automatically discounted.

The best example I can think of is from India, around 1000BC. There smallpox was worshipped as a goddess who took revenge for peoples sinful activities. One of the ways of propitiating her involved taking the pus from smallpox sores and storing it for a year, then taking the crystallized pus and putting it under the skin with a needle.The BWIA (British West India Company) documented this Ayurvedic cure extensively and many relied on its efficacy. Nowadays we understand microbiology and why such a treatment would work. Back then it was superstitious mumbo-jumbo, but that didn't prevent it from working almost as well as modern vaccination.

smallpox-goddess.jpg

This is a representation of the smallpox Devi. Just because priests smeared ashes on thier forehead and muttered sacred Mantras didn't make the innoculations ineffective.

It's not the possibility of beneficial side effects (even psychosomatic ones) that is being discounted, it's the overdone marketing hype in lieu of credible peer-reviewed science that's being called into question.  To compare to traditional examples, it doesn't matter what's in the in bottle, or whether the alcohol-based 19th Century potions cured anything or just helped you care less about your condition, snake-oil sales pitches are just that: sales pitches.  And society has learned to be wary of enthisiatic salesmen who avoid critical examination of their wares.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/qray.html

I thought I had heard some complaints against these bracelet companies a while back but didn't pay much mind...this has a little info FYI

HL

On the site they never even say what the bracelets actually do. Other than some guy saying it improved his golf swing. Traditionally they are only good for arthritis or joint pain in the wrist. If you have no pain the bracelet is simply jewelry.

But how can you disagree with this:
"Oh my gosh this bracelet has changed my life!!! My mother-in-law had been wearing your bracelet for a year and convinced me to get one. Oh my gosh, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!"
Susan Von Achen
San Mateo, CA USA

It's the same way with the commercials.  We have been laughing over this for a while now.  They never actually state what it is they do!  It just changes your life!  ::)  A lot of things will change your life.

beach_bum said:
It's the same way with the commercials.  We have been laughing over this for a while now.  They never actually state what it is they do!  It just changes your life!   ::)  A lot of things will change your life.
Yes Beach...just imagine if we all bought all of the gadgets on television and believed that they all did what they eluded to doing...what a pile of junk we would have

HL

Hot Lips said:
Yes Beach...just imagine if we all bought all of the gadgets on television and believed that they all did what they eluded to doing...what a pile of junk we would have

HL

As well as a VERY empty bank account!

beach_bum said:
It's the same way with the commercials.  We have been laughing over this for a while now.  They never actually state what it is they do!  It just changes your life!  ::)  A lot of things will change your life.
I never knew how easy it was to write with my opposite hand! Thanks to arm-remover-5000 my life has been changed in so many ways!

Back