• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about postings and moving around.

Testify

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I just had my interview today and he said I'd be getting a job offer (Infantry) on Tuesday July 17th by the latest!  And that I'd be on the Sept 17 BMQ in St. Jean.  Great news!  I have a couple questions that I didn't' think to bring up this morning.

Anyway, he asked what Regiment I'd like and I said PPCLI in Edmonton.  He asked "Are you sure?  It will be a long drive if you want to visit your family" (I live in Ontario)  I thought about it and then said RCR Petawawa.  Now I've read that you  are moved around A LOT, so does that mean if I do change my mind to PPCLI that I could get moved somewhere else within 3 years or later?  I'm not quite sure I understand the moving around part.  Does that mean changing regiments/battalions?  Or does it mean your platoon getting sent to another army base for a while?  Kind of hazy when it comes to this.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

You know what i was wondering the same thing but im going armoured. the best thing is call the office and ask or wait till someone can answer..

I'm not sure how/when you actually pick your Regiments anymore, but I can tell you about posting locations with each.

PPCLI: Edmonton (1 and 3 PPCLI) and Shilo, Manitoba (2 PPCLI).
RCR: Pet (1 and 3 RCR) and Gagetown, New Brunswick (2 RCR).

Add in Meaford, Wainwright, St. Jean, Borden, Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal and just about any/every Range Control on every training base and most Army Reserve units. These are not (usually) initial postings, that will be to one of the Battalions.

There is a possibility of re-badging, but it is fairly rare. I have only seen a handful really.

Armored is way easier.
LdSH(RC): Edmonton
RCD: Pet
School: Gagetown.

Again there is a possibility of Range Control, Reserve support, and higher command level positions.

Wook

Wookilar said:
Armored is way easier.
LdSH(RC): Edmonton
RCD: Pet
School: Gagetown.

Again there is a possibility of Range Control, Reserve support, and higher command level positions.

Wook

What? No 12 RBC: Valcartier???

I have experience in this matter.

I originally was armored and when I started my BMQ and other courses I was told that being from Quebec I'd be posted to the 12th. When I got to my MOC training, we were told we were all going to be RCD in Petawawa. Now from this, they ultimately decide where you are going to begin with (if they cannot give you your choice) but re-badging is possible if you so choose, although I'd advice against it for many reasons, which I'm sure you'll understand in time.

Now for Infantry that's a different story. I have a lot of infantry friends and your regiment is chosen before hand and you may have the choice to choose again in BMQ training. Once again, when assigned to a regiment, re-badging is allowed (of course always defined by the regiment rules etc.) but they RARELY (I've heard of this only once) will change you for without choice for X reason.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if theres a difference in cost living in Edmonton on base vs. Pet. on base?

Thanks.

Oops, my bad.  :-[ No offence meant to our brothers and sisters in Valcatraz.

Wook

Testify said:
Thanks for the info.

Do you know if theres a difference in cost living in Edmonton on base vs. Pet. on base?

Thanks.

Of course there will be living cost differences anywhere you go for on base housing in Canada. I suggest you contact the base and inquire directly for the current costs of PMQs in your desired area.

Or go here :
http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/locations/petawawa_h_e.asp

and here :

http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/locations/edmonton_h_e.asp

Max

Thanks for those sites..

If you live on base like in the "residence" type building.  Is it cheaper?  Any sites on that?

Thanks.

Most combat units, including infantry, do have living in accommodations or barracks, in one form or another. My old barracks room was about 110 a month all included (except food, cable, internet which you pay for yourself if you want it) and being senior we got our own room. There are various types of quarters you can live in on a base and the prices go up accordingly. Either you are living in or you have a PMQ (whether a row house, individual house etc) or you buy your own place. Some regiments might not allow you to live anywhere than the living in quarters for the first months or years when you get to a regiment unless you are married etc.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.  I assume I'll be in there for a few years.  I'm young and it sounds like a good time living there.

Back