• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about reserve(NCM) to eventual reg force(Officer) service.

pheonix1995

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a current high school student in Surrey B.C. (Grade 11). I was hoping to gain some perspective as to how i should plan out a career in the Canadian Forces. I would like to as the title indicates be an officer(preferably combat arms) in the Canadian Forces.

I have been pondering the idea of joining the reserves(infantry) and doing my BMQ and SQ over the summer or whenever applicable.

I plan on going to university after high school and hope to obtain a degree in criminology. I have looked through other forms concerning a component transfer/occupational transfer from NCM (reserve) to Officer (regular) and what i would need to do to end up as a Regular force officer.

I was hoping for some insight into my specific situation and how I should go about doing this.

I also want to gain some leadership/officer attributes and skills as an NCM in the reserves if i do join and see it as a stepping stone in furthering myself and my personal confidence no matter what my ultimate career choice is.

I hope you guys can help me out on this and I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers-
Jaret

You would need to provide proof that you have obtained a degree when you apply for the CT. Keep in mind they may not credit you for any courses you have taken as an NCM. The only person I know of that wanted to CT just as you described was reserves for 9 years as an NCM, and on his offer he was told we would have to start all over again and do BMOQ. The benefit to joining the reserves in your situation would be the guaranteed summer employment program they just implemented, and tuition reimbursement. Make money every summer, for the entire summer, and have part of your school paid for with no commitment obligations. If this is a path you want to take, make sure you study for the CFAT, as your score when you apply for the reserves will be used when you apply for reg.

Good Luck!

Back