• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rank

j_budz

Inactive
Reaction score
What is the difference between a Private and a Private Recruit?  Is Private Recruit before BMQ, and Private after?  I have just gone through the swearing in and the whole ceremony, and supposedly I'm a Private, but wouldn't I be a Private Recruit just starting off?  Or do they just not mention the Recruit part?  Thanks, these ranks are confusing me!
Also, they said that I need to go pick up my kit, do you make an appointment right away or wait until you get your starting dates for BMQ?  I'd like it best if I could pick up my kit a few weeks/days before BMQ starts, so would I call in now to make an appointment, or later?

Thanks! ;)

j_budz said:
What is the difference between a Private and a Private Recruit?  Is Private Recruit before BMQ, and Private after? 
After your DP1 trade training I believe.

I have just gone through the swearing in and the whole ceremony, and supposedly I'm a Private, but wouldn't I be a Private Recruit just starting off?  Or do they just not mention the Recruit part?  Thanks, these ranks are confusing me!
No problem.. if I can get confused then anyone can.

Also, they said that I need to go pick up my kit, do you make an appointment right away or wait until you get your starting dates for BMQ?  I'd like it best if I could pick up my kit a few weeks/days before BMQ starts, so would I call in now to make an appointment, or later?
Now that would be your best bet. Did your chain of command tell you yet?

Your welcome...

(Unnecessary photo removed by Moderator.)

Jbudz,

Fill out your profile. There are probably people on this forum from your unit somewhere, lurking in the shadows who might be able to answer your unit specific questions directly, and even tell you who to contact to get further/correct info. Profiles help us help you!

Good luck in the forces.

Cheers,

HH

Now that would be your best bet. Did your chain of command tell you yet?
To wait until I get my dates for BMQ or to pick up my kit later?

I'll set up my profile right now, thanks for the reccomendation!

Good luck in the forces.

Thanks! ;)

j_budz said:
To wait until I get my dates for BMQ or to pick up my kit later?

I'll set up my profile right now, thanks for the reccomendation!

Thanks! ;)

Personally I taught BMQ and I prefered my troops to have their kit there. Just check with your boss first.

I was told that if the pick-up date for my kit is after the starting date for BMQ, to give my unit a call.
Thanks for the input!

its pretty self explanatory private UNTRAINED recruit, that means your that rank until your trained then u become a private after your trades course (the course after BMQ and SQ)

Pte recruit, untrained, wears the CF tri service cap badge  - AKA corn flake
he knows nothing and should neither be seen nor heard until such time as some knowledge has been stuffed between those two ears.

Pte trained - he now wears his regimental / trade cap badge & wears his single chevron.  He now knows enough to be dangerous - his NCOs keep them on a short leash until such time as they too become NCOs :)

Thanks for the clarification ;)  Although it will be a while til I'm done my trade, since I'm switching to Officer training after BMQ  ;D

geo said:
Pte recruit, untrained, wears the CF tri service cap badge  - AKA corn flake
he knows nothing and should neither be seen nor heard until such time as some knowledge has been stuffed between those two ears.

Pte trained - he now wears his regimental / trade cap badge & wears his single chevron.  He now knows enough to be dangerous - his NCOs keep them on a short leash until such time as they too become NCOs :)

I was always under the imprseeion:

Pte recruit-while attending BMQ and DP1
Pte basic-until you recieve your hook
Pte trained-once you have recieved your hook.

I"ve never used the term Pte basic... always Recruit or trained.

That's my two cents and a little bit more..
Cheers,
TN2IC

EX_RCAC_011 said:

That's what we use over here at 3 RCR

TN2IC said:
I"ve never used the term Pte basic... always Recruit or trained.

That's my two cents and a little bit more..
Cheers,
TN2IC

If you take a look at your old pay statements its clearly on there.The only reason I remember is wondering why I wasnt Pte (t) after my battle school.I was Pte (r) during training and Pte(b) when I graduated.When I recieved my hook I was Pte (t).

Infantry_ said:
That's what we use over here at 3 RCR

Us too.

May be it is that. It's been a bit for me. It is ringing a bell.

My bad.

Regards,
TN2IC

EX_RCAC_011 said:

Until you qualify in your trade, you aren't particularly of much use.
In the CME, you're still wearing the cornflake until such time as you do qualify.

ALSO, the SQ course is going the way of the dodo.... part of it is being added to the BQ and part of it is going into the DP1 TQ phase.... thus, you are either untrained OR trained.

geo said:
... ALSO, the SQ course is going the way of the dodo....

- 'Bout time.  I saw the events that led to the introduction of the SQ course as borderline sabotage: We cut the CF, losing half of our members and two-thirds of our experience, then introduce ANOTHER course requiring precious JNCO P/Ys at a time when the CF could least afford to waste JNCOs or delay the introduction of new blood into the units.

If this was old country back in '44...

Anyway, nice to see some sanity infiltrate itself back into the Big Purple Machine.

The difference between Pte(R) and Pte is a cheveron. The pay rate and duties do not change. While the rest of my course was on parade to accept their advancment, I was in the office working and didn't care, as the work is the same. In the Navy, the big difference is that after your intial training you are then called an Able Seaman (Pte) vice  an Ordinary Seaman (Pte R).

geo said:
Until you qualify in your trade, you aren't particularly of much use.
In the CME, you're still wearing the cornflake until such time as you do qualify.

As with us.Only our DP1 students wear our corp branch insigna.

However when we were fully finished battle school (Dp1/TQ 3) and wearing our springbok,working in Petawawa we were Pte (b).
Having two coffee breaks in at the time this concerned me,as I thought I was considered trained and inquired.Until you recieve your first chevron( 2.5 years in the army)you are not considered trained.

When I got my hook it then reflected in my file etc.

Pte (r) while you are on training up until you have your trade badge on your head.

Pte (b) from your inclearance to your regiment until you are a "1 hook" Private

Pte(t) when you recieve your first chevron until promoted to Cpl.
geo said:
ALSO, the SQ course is going the way of the dodo.... part of it is being added to the BQ and part of it is going into the DP1 TQ phase.... thus, you are either untrained OR trained.
I know...I work here ;D."Trained" does not been PCF/DP1 qualified it refers to your time completed in the army,and does not reflect your qualifications,except that you completed basic MOC training and you now have 2.5 years in the army.

I just hauled my MPRR out of my folder.I have a slight correction.

Pte (r) while your enrolled until completion of basic

pte (b) while on trades training and up until you get you chevron.

look on your MPRR under rank history.

Back