• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-enlisting in Reserves????

T

threelions

Im doing this in stages. Fisrst im asking about on the boards, then im going to move onto the next step. I left the Militia in november of 1999 to sort out my life. Now that im all organized, i‘m very interested in re-enlisting. OUt of curiosity would i have to go back through basic and Battle school? Battle school in sunny wainwright was ok the first time, but i surely dont fancy doing it again. Any info would be great.

Cheers,
Paul

Morning The_falcon,

I didnt get far at all, only a lowly private.

Cheers,
Paul

There is a 5 year window. If you get back into the Reserves within that, then you should get back your qualifications. After that, you may not.

Not only that they will have to do a VFS- verification of former service. This can take quite some time as your file is in the archives, then "if" they find it they must check your qualifications. It took me 2 years and don‘t be surprised if you must re do everything.

Anyone with the latest info on rules for re-enlisting in the reserves? Served 87-91 with 2 trade quals with a Sigs unit.

I would go back in if I did not have to do basic all over again etc...

Of course much refresher training is needed, goes without saying.

Cheers,

Hound

Almost positive you would have to do Basic again, but dont quote me on that though.
call CFRC and amd ask!

With the reg force, if you are out over 5 years, you have to do BMQ again.  Since you were in reserves and over 10 years ago, then I'm almost certain you would have to do it again.

I though I might get a definitive answer here. :'(

Anyway I can't afford time off to do  basic and learn how to shine shoes and press uniforms again. Shit I was a corporal with 2 trade quals youd think theyd fast track my ass past Basic and do a refresher on the trades. It wasn't that long ago!.  Or at least do some testing to see where I ly with the proficiency thing.
I would expect some remedial marching and parade work but I still remember 99% of it.

I hope this is not the case redoing basic as I will not re-enter because of that one issue.

Spose I should call the local sigs unit and inquire.

Hound

You'll be doing basic over again. Positive. 5 years out and you have to redo basic. Thems the rules. 

My wife got into the reserves in 96 without redoing Basic.  She got out in 90 after four years in the regs.

Must have changed since then. My buddy is in the process if joining the reserves after 5 years out and he has to redo basic. He was reg force infantry and he's going reserve infantry.

Hound said:
I though I might get a definitive answer here. :'(

HA definitive answers in the military.....oh Im teraing up im laughing so hard...you're killing me.

Don't let your buddy re-join!  Haven't you heard the saying -

"Friends don't let friends re-sign!"

Does this help me or not? It is not clear to me? ???

http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/enrollment/index_e.aspx

Cheers,

Hound

Try this:

http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/CFmembers/past_CFmembers_e.aspx

It talks about various entry plans. Don't waste your time on this site with the "well, my buddy said" and "Here's what my friend who's dad was in told me" ::)

Get hold of the Recruiter and explain your situation, if you fit the criteria they're looking for, you may bypass basic. They don't always stick "To The Rules" when you have something they want.

Cheers Reece  ;)

I will let you know when I find out.

Hound

Hi all.  perhaps i'll just dive in and try to explain my re-enlistment situation.

1992 I joined the P Res Infantry.  Completed QL2/3.  I was fairly active member of my unit for 5 years.  In 1997, I was going through some personal/family related issues (nothing illegal) and failed to meet regular parade nights.  I was told by someone in my Orderly Room that I was placed on Suplementary Reserve, which I was ok with.  I was in the process of deciding if I should stay or muster out when some months later I was informed by a friend in the unit that I had been release 5(f) due to NES.  I panicked and called the orderly room immediatly to see what could be done to make ammends in any way.  I eventually spoke with an officer who told me that if I turned in my kit immediatly and faxed him copies of the forms proving I did so, he would 'help' me with my release.  I raced down and turned in ALL my kit in good order and promptly faxed him the needed documents.  I waited a week and he didnt call.  when I contacted him he wanted nothing to do with me and said something to the effect of "you turned in your kit, we owe you nothing.".  I went further and spoke with the Ombudsman, but there was little that could be done.  naturally, he asked why I cared so much and I explained that I did not want to close the door completely on the military.

Since those times I have changed my life in many ways.  I completed my first University degree in 2000 and applied to the P Res in 2001.  The trade that I wanted wasnt open for DEO (Int O).  So I asked for armored officer, although they didnt say so I think my prior release affected thier decision to turn me down BUT instead offer me an NCM position in armour.  This didnt really interest me enough at the time, so I politely declined.  Since then, i have added a 2nd Univerity degree to my resume and have also learned that INT is now accepting recruits, only NCMs.  I have reapplied for INT OP, with the intention of going officer later.  im just wondering how good my chances are of being accepted given my prior release.  (which I did everything to fix, although the CFRC doesnt really know that).

my second degree is in Security and Defense Studies and I have learned to speak both Russian and Mandarin.  I feel I would be a great asset as an int operator.

sorry for being so long-winded, but I just thought i'd gain some perspective.

thanks in advance

I got out after 8 years service in 93. Miss the army and am thinking of re-enlisting to an eng. unit. I enjoy being in the field mostly.  I was arty but there are no arty units in my area. Anyone done this type of thing or am I off my rocker. No prob for me physically (i hope).....

email
enjoyliferelax@hotmail.com

No, you're not nuts. The recruiting centers are getting lots of re-enrollee's..me being one of them. I'm 42, been through the process, just waiting the offer of employment.

good luck.

Back