• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconnaissance in the reserves, choice of unit in Winnipeg

Vanguard_Foxtrot

Inactive
Reaction score
Dear recruiters,
I am (almost) a new citizen and am waiting to take the oath within a few months. In order to prepare myself for a speedy entry (DEO) into the reserve force upon receipt of my citizenship, I have done some research online about possible/desired trades, realistic expectations regarding my abilities and the available position, etc..

I would like to run a few questions by you (I have talked to a recruiter at the Minto Armoury a year ago) while I wrap up the citizenship process:

- When would the next part-time/weekend BMQ start in Winnipeg?
- Would BMOQ, Phase training and occupation training happen consecutively and seamlessly (meaning when approximately can I expect to have all training wrapped up)?

When I spoke to the local recruiter, he suggested I get into DEO Armour or Infantry based on my interest in spending time outdoors and rigorous physical exercise. From my research, it looks like Reconnaissance would be the best fit for my skills and interests. Here are some questions regarding this trade:
- Are there Recce positions in both Infantry and Armour, or just one of the two?
- If it exists in both, how would you describe the differences?
- If becoming Recce in the Armoured trade, would this mean I would be working predominantly with smaller vehicles (GWagon) and dismounted? Where can I find out more about the work life in this trade?
- And I apologize for the typical amateur question, but I feel like I might as well ask: If this is possible for a reserve position in the first place, is there a chance of getting some of the "sought-after training opportunities” such as parachuting and sniper training (several years) further down the road? I am aware that most likely this training is only provided to RegForce members and then the best of those, but in case there is a slight possibility for Reserves to receive this training, I would like to know what steps (or trade selection) I would have to take early on to make it into those training pools a few years later.

Also, based on my conversations with RegForce members, available jobs and work environment vary from one unit to another. From what I understand, my prospective trade would be available with The Fort Garry Horse, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, and The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada. After reading up their individual websites, I am still unsure how exactly they differ from each other except for history, location and trade. I was recommended to visit each unit to get a better picture.
- Would you be able to describe the “specialties” and characteristics of each Winnipeg unit?
- Would you recommend to visit each unit in person to get a better picture?
- If I was to visit each unit, what would be the best way to get in touch with each respective unit?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Good day,

Reconnaissance is one of several advanced course taken after occupational training for several occupations. You have mentioned several reserve units of interest in your area. I recommend that as you await your Canadian citizenship you contact the recruiters of those units in your area and learn the history of the units and decide on the occupation that you would like to apply for. Once you meet the eligibility requirements to join the Canadian Armed Forces Primary Reserves you can then contact the Primary Reserve Recruiter for the unit in your area that you want to join.     

Vanguard_Foxtrot said:
Dear recruiters,
I am (almost) a new citizen and am waiting to take the oath within a few months. In order to prepare myself for a speedy entry (DEO) into the reserve force upon receipt of my citizenship, I have done some research online about possible/desired trades, realistic expectations regarding my abilities and the available position, etc..

I would like to run a few questions by you (I have talked to a recruiter at the Minto Armoury a year ago) while I wrap up the citizenship process:

- Would BMOQ, Phase training and occupation training happen consecutively and seamlessly (meaning when approximately can I expect to have all training wrapped up)?

When I spoke to the local recruiter, he suggested I get into DEO Armour or Infantry based on my interest in spending time outdoors and rigorous physical exercise. From my research, it looks like Reconnaissance would be the best fit for my skills and interests. Here are some questions regarding this trade:
- Are there Recce positions in both Infantry and Armour, or just one of the two?
- If it exists in both, how would you describe the differences?
- If becoming Recce in the Armoured trade, would this mean I would be working predominantly with smaller vehicles (GWagon) and dismounted? Where can I find out more about the work life in this trade?
- And I apologize for the typical amateur question, but I feel like I might as well ask: If this is possible for a reserve position in the first place, is there a chance of getting some of the "sought-after training opportunities” such as parachuting and sniper training (several years) further down the road? I am aware that most likely this training is only provided to RegForce members and then the best of those, but in case there is a slight possibility for Reserves to receive this training, I would like to know what steps (or trade selection) I would have to take early on to make it into those training pools a few years later.

Also, based on my conversations with RegForce members, available jobs and work environment vary from one unit to another. From what I understand, my prospective trade would be available with The Fort Garry Horse, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, and The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada. After reading up their individual websites, I am still unsure how exactly they differ from each other except for history, location and trade. I was recommended to visit each unit to get a better picture.
- Would you be able to describe the “specialties” and characteristics of each Winnipeg unit?
- Would you recommend to visit each unit in person to get a better picture?
- If I was to visit each unit, what would be the best way to get in touch with each respective unit?

Thank you very much for your advice.

As your questions are specific to the Primary Reserves, they are not really in the domain of the Regular Force Recruiters to whom you have addressed them.

Master Corporal Steven's advice is what you should be following: contact the Reserve units and talk to their Recruiters to find out what their roles are.

I can answer some of your questions with some generalizations.

For the Primary Reserves, these courses usually start in late September, early October and will run until late December, early January.

Would BMOQ, Phase training and occupation training happen consecutively and seamlessly (meaning when approximately can I expect to have all training wrapped up)?

Sometimes scheduling will allow for the BMOQ and Phase Training to be run consecutively.  Do not, however, count on that always being the case.  Phase training for both Armour and Infantry will cover your occupational training.

Armour Reserve units concentrate on Armour Recce, so that will be what you will do.  Infantry Reserve units concentrate primarily on being infantry soldiers, but you may find that the unit will have a Recce Platoon.  Both do Recce, but Armour is primarily mounted, and Infantry is primarily dismounted, with both having different roles on a battlefield as to areas of responsibility and taskings.  As already stated, for a better idea of what they do and the differences, go talk to the unit Recruiters.

If becoming Recce in the Armoured trade, would this mean I would be working predominantly with smaller vehicles (GWagon) and dismounted? Where can I find out more about the work life in this trade?

Armour Recce in the Reserves is done with smaller vehicles, the GWagen most often.  Armour Recce does operate dismounted as well.  Again, for more information visit your local Reserve units and talk to people there.

....is there a chance of getting some of the "sought-after training opportunities” such as parachuting and sniper training (several years) further down the road?

Reservists do get the opportunity to take the Basic Para Crse.  It is very rare, and often delegated first to certain units who fill Reserve Jump Positions as part of their role (none located in Winnipeg).  It is highly unlikely, to never, that a Reservist would be slated for sniper training. 

All your further questions have been answered; visit the local units and talk to their people.

Thank you very much for your swift replies. I will be on my way in the near future to continue the conversation with the Reserve recruiters.

Back