• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Refuelling ops

• Thread starter fortuncookie5084
  • Start date
F

fortuncookie5084

Could someone please shed light on how in the US war in Iraq context the Americans service and refuel the Abrams in battle. The US Army is employing a huge heavy armour force right now so this issue is hot. I know about the huge tanker trucks that are needed but in all honesty how do they do this in wartime? The M1A1 is a gas..er....JP-8 guzzler which complicates things even further.

My assumption would be.. the same way they do it in peace time.. the support echelon is one "bound" behind the main attacking force with ammo, fuel, and maintenance assets. When needed, either the main force falls back and "bombs up" or the echelon could come forward and do it. That system works its way back so that the refuellers get their stuff in the same way.

Bzz

I saw this on CNN one day many months ago when the tanks and Bradleys were racing to Baghdad. All they did was stop, and the fuel trucks from behind came up and refueled them. They had Appache helicopters out in front to protect them.

They have all kinds of fuel trucks. I can‘t remember the name of it but I saw them in just about every U.S. base I‘ve ever been to.
They don‘t get stuck trying to fill a Leo with jerrycans!( like another army does!!!)

Aren‘t the fuel trucks that travel with/closely behind the Unit called "bowzers" or something similar?

The fuel trucks are called FARs. Forward Area Refueler. The trailer is a TFAR. The US still refuels by jerry. You can refuel faster by jerry can. This is because ever tank can refuel, without waiting inline. Jerry can is the safest way. A troop can grab their cans, and off they go. This is why Recce Sqns prefer jerrys. I have refuel a Leo in 3 mins by jerry with two hoppers, compared to 10 waiting to refuel by bowser.
:evil: :tank:

Originally posted by Recce41:
[qb] I have refuel a Leo in 3 mins by jerry with two hoppers, compared to 10 waiting to refuel by bowser. [/qb]
My hats off to you lot...You must have had a hot crew!

Back