• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regarding Math/ Physics and WEng Tech Training

cosmojones

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there. I've just accepted a job offer for Weapons Engineering Tech and I ship out to Basic on Oct 20th. I haven't taken any physics in school and my math, while scoring highly on the CFAT is a little rusty. My question is what level of Mathematics/ Physics should I have going into the course? The website says Grade 10 but I feel like that can't be right.

Additionally, is there any opportunity to upgrade, say my Physics, if it turns out the material is far above my head? I am absolutely prepared to spend every waking moment studying, but I also understand that all the studying in the world won't help if I don't already have a strong base knowledge.

Thank you kindly for all responses.

Good morning,  If you have already received an offer then the Math you have meets the educational requirements for the occupation.  Ideally they want you to have an Grade 12 academic math background, but Grade 10 math is acceptable.  It is an asset to have a physics course at any level as this will help you with the academic portion of your trades qualification.  Many of the colleges offer correspondence  or evening courses that you can take to upgrade your education. 

Check online to see if there is anything you can take before you go on your BMQ. 

There are Computer Based Training Labs at CFNES (Canadian Forces Naval Engineering School) in Halifax where you will do some of your training.  There are some excellent instructors who will help you along.

I will suggest that you take your training one step at a time for now, and when you get to CFNES, inquire at the Reg Office or the Div Cell about getting some additional time in these labs if you are concerned.

NS

I'll echo NavyShooter on his info, and give you a bit more.  I just finished my QL3 in Halifax for W Eng, and in the first semester, the entire first week is dedicated to Math revision and review.  Also, the rest of the courses will start slowish, but pick up speed quickly.  If you find yourself falling a bit, you can see the Div Cell or QA (Standards) for assistance, as they usually will have staff members there to provide extra tutorials.  Also, you are encouraged to work with your peers.  Just remember that copying is considered cheating, but if you work together, it is considered teamwork.

Also, a lot of the labs are done in pairs, so you will always have someone to work with.  I knew a couple guys who were a little weak in physics and still complete the courses close to the top of the class.  It all depends on how hard you want to work for it, and how bad you really want it.

Good luck, and hope to see you in the fleet someday.

Rev

Back