• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regimental Birthdays

The Gues-|-

Inactive
Reaction score
How do regiments celebrate birthdays? typically the Reg. Force.  PPCLI's 100th is coming 2014, can't wait! :dontpanic:

Varies from place to place, even within Regiments.

Here in Ottawa we Royal Canadians, all ranks â “ serving and retired, usually gather and, as a keystone event, wish ourselves a 'Happy Birthday' (a few more than our friends in the Patricias ;) ) with the Ortona Toast.

The Ortona Toast originated on the Regimental Birthday in December 1944. The CO had gone up to take over the brigade and Strome Galloway was A/CO as the battalion prepared to enter Ortona.  The A/Brigade Commander and a few others came to his Tac CP to watch the attack begin.  Some hot rum was served there in the Tac CP, in plain white ceramic cups, and a Toast was propsed to 'celebrate' The Regiment's birthday.  We repeat the Toast year-after-year, as a reminder of what our real business is.  We, in Ottawa, were lucky in that for many, many years Strome Galloway himself proposed the Toast at our annual Birthday gatherings â “ just as he had in 1944.

A few years ago the 'custom' of the Ortona Toast was made official throughout The Regiment.

There are, also, dinner nights, etc but for Royal Canadians the Regimental Birthday and Paardeberg Day 'flank' the holiday season and sometimes working up enthusiasm for another 'evening out' or 'dining in' is a tad difficult.

The Calgary Highlanders celebrate 1 April 1910 with the drinking of Black Velvet and the eating of raw oysters; that was the menu for the toasting of the formation of the Regiment in 1910.   Lt Col Armstrong had tried to get a regiment raised a couple of times but finally won approval for the 103rd Calgary Rifles.

We also give out regimental awards at the Birthday parade, usually the Wed night closest to 1 April.   The Clan of the Gallant Canadians are a series of unofficial medals given to members of the regiment for distinguished service, including members of the "regimental family" like the ladies auxiliary, etc.   One year the pipe band had their new tartan pipe ribbons presented at the regimental birthday after approval by DHH (the Queen's office said it was a lovely idea, but we didn't need her permission IIRC).

Our big regimental day is St. Julien's Day on 22 April, so birthday celebrations are relatively low key.

In the PPCLI our Regimental Birthday (10 August) often goes almost unnoticed (it happens in the thick of the tasking/posting season anyway). The big thing for us is "Regimental Day" (17 March) which celebrates the birthday of Princess Patricia. Patricias get together wherever they are to play broom-i-loo, share an all ranks meal (usually BBQ style), drink beer and celebrate in whatever other ways we see fit.

Cheers

pbi said:
Patricias get together wherever they are to play broom-i-loo

I remember cleaning off the HLS of used condoms and empty beer cans and playing broom-i-loo.  There always seems to be casualties in that game....

pbi said:
In the PPCLI our Regimental Birthday (10 August) often goes almost unnoticed (it happens in the thick of the tasking/posting season anyway). The big thing for us is "Regimental Day" (17 March) which celebrates the birthday of Princess Patricia. Patricias get together wherever they are to play broom-i-loo, share an all ranks meal (usually BBQ style), drink beer and celebrate in whatever other ways we see fit.

That's Friesenburg Day, isn't it? My Regimental memory is a bit dim, but IIRC the "Regimental Day" commemorates the battle of Friesenburg (sp) where the "Originals" were effectively destroyed, but the battalion held its position.

Broom-a-loo casualties don't approach those of the battle, but it can be a pretty bloody sport - especially the SrNCO/WO vs Officers match.

Acorn

I attended a meeting of the PPCLI 100th Anniversary Planning Committee last week.
You can't let these things sneak up on you, you know.  ;)

Having said that, the intent is to go BIG.

See you all in 9 years.

Now that's what I want to hear PPCLI MCpl!  Hopefully I'll be a Patricia by then. :dontpanic:

Acorn said:
That's Friesenburg Day, isn't it? My Regimental memory is a bit dim, but IIRC the "Regimental Day" commemorates the battle of Friesenburg (sp) where the "Originals" were effectively destroyed, but the battalion held its position.

Broom-a-loo casualties don't approach those of the battle, but it can be a pretty bloody sport - especially the SrNCO/WO vs Officers match.

Acorn

No-Frezenburg is 08 May. IIRC, it is not always marked in a big way, and certainly not as religiously as Regimental Day.

Cheers

Edward Campbell said:
Varies from place to place, even within Regiments.

Here in Ottawa we Royal Canadians, all ranks â “ serving and retired, usually gather and, as a keystone event, wish ourselves a 'Happy Birthday' (a few more than our friends in the Patricias ;) ) with the Ortona Toast.

The Ortona Toast originated on the Regimental Birthday in December 1944. The CO had gone up to take over the brigade and Strome Galloway was A/CO as the battalion prepared to enter Ortona.   The A/Brigade Commander and a few others came to his Tac CP to watch the attack begin.   Some hot rum was served there in the Tac CP, in plain white ceramic cups, and a Toast was propsed to 'celebrate' The Regiment's birthday.   We repeat the Toast year-after-year, as a reminder of what our real business is.   We, in Ottawa, were lucky in that for many, many years Strome Galloway himself proposed the Toast at our annual Birthday gatherings â “ just as he had in 1944.

A few years ago the 'custom' of the Ortona Toast was made official throughout The Regiment.

There are, also, dinner nights, etc but for Royal Canadians the Regimental Birthday and Paardeberg Day 'flank' the holiday season and sometimes working up enthusiasm for another 'evening out' or 'dining in' is a tad difficult.

23 December, if i recall.... is that right ?

Back