• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day Traditions

klia_m

Inactive
Reaction score
Remembrance Day has always been a very special day in my life! My Dad is a WW2 vet and always took part in the Remembrance Day Service at home. I am so proud of him and all our vets and thankful to all of them! As a child and until I was married, I always polished his medals for him on the evening of the 10th. Then, would always be at the service to see him march in and lay wreaths. One year, I was honoured to be able to lay a wreath on behalf of the Girl Guide Association. It was very special to me to be able to be part of the service Dad was taking part in! This year, it was my nephew that I saw marching in the parade. He is stationed at Petawawa and received special permission to come to Kitchener/Waterloo to march in the parade here. He had hoped to be able to be there with his Grandfather. Unfortunately, Dad wasn‘t well enough to be on parade this year....another vet aging very rapidly!

New generations and new traditions! This year, I was soooo thankful that my nephew was safe at home as I put a picture of my great-uncle at the cenotaph with 3 poppies for myself and my children. An old lady came and asked me who he was and I told her and he had died in WW1...she told me never to forget.....we won‘t...his picture was on the front page of the Globe and Mail....now we wait as my nephew is still on stand by for Afghanistan. We pray that he and all of our troops will be safe regardless of what theatre of operation they are in. Our National Anthem seemed especially poignant this year....

Rest assured....We will remember them!

Back