• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance or Veterans?

... The Media called it the War on Terror. But we all know the Media cannot even call a piece of military equipment by the right name, everything is a tank. So they will name anything incorrectly if it makes a bigger head line ...
Acknowledging all of MSM's other sins, to be fair, I wonder where else they could have picked up that term, or variations on that theme?

All that said, though ...
... Maybe we need a Veterans' Day, where those who served can stand up and be proud of their service. Remembrance Day is not the day, in my mind it would like being a kid and going to Grandma's funeral in the morning and having your birthday in the afternoon. Veterans' Day should be a day to celebrate our service as a country. ( but this Canada, and we forget our history and leave it in a corner as if we are almost ashamed of our success ) So it will never happen
Agree with the idea - this whole mixing a week to remember vets around 11 November just muddies the waters - as well as they why it won't likely happen.

Acknowledging all of MSM's other sins, to be fair, I wonder where else they could have picked up that term, or variations on that theme?

All that said, though ...

Agree with the idea - this whole mixing a week to remember vets around 11 November just muddies the waters - as well as they why it won't likely happen.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that at one point Canada actually had a Veteran's Day.
Sometime in late spring or early summer if memory serves.

I think we too often associate Remembrance Day with WW1, 2 and Korea only.

We lost roughly 130 Canadians on Peacekeeping Missions and 159 in Afghanistan. Not to mention the countless wounded.

We have generations of military sacrifice that should be remembered and revered. And I suspect we will have more in the future, soon. The Legion and other "veterans" services would do well to embrace those newer generations lest their cause fades away into the either.
The big reason WWI and WWII captured the national interest is because there were few Canadians that didn't personally know someone that had served or been killed.

Around 40000 Canadians served in Afghanistan. That's about on for every million Canadians, meaning most Canadians have zero connection to the war. Particularly now that the war ended, for us, a decade ago. I'm not sure there is much the Legion can do make people care.

Around 40000 Canadians served in Afghanistan. That's about on for every million Canadians, meaning most Canadians have zero connection to the war. Particularly now that the war ended, for us, a decade ago. I'm not sure there is much the Legion can do make people care.
I think you meant one in every thousand?

Although a US article, their Memorial Day is like our Remembrance Day, I agree:

Memorial Day is much more than the official beginning of summer.​

Monday is Memorial Day, a holiday celebrated throughout the United States with barbecues, music festivals, and children running through sprinklers. All those traditions are wonderful. But my husband, a veteran, has one request: Don't treat Memorial Day as a day to honor our troops currently serving in the military. It's not a day for them. As the word "Memorial" tells us, it's a day for remembering and honoring those who sacrificed their lives in battle and are no longer among us.

All those men, and some women too, who died in Vietnam and every war before and since, didn't get the chance to bring up their children, or grow old with their spouses, or have careers. All they have is their names on the Wall, or another memorial like it, and a triangular folded flag for their families.

So go ahead and thank our veterans and support our troops on every other day. Save Memorial Day for remembering and honoring those who never had the chance to become veterans. This one day a year is all they and their loved ones have left.

At Mcgregor Armories in Winnipeg. Unveiled yesterday 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_4002.jpeg
    IMG_4002.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4003.jpeg
    IMG_4003.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Back