• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve NAVCOMM BMQ to ROPT MARS ??

westcoastboy

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a 17yr old Reserve Navcomm Ordinary Seaman, joined 9 months ago , I will be going to BMQ Borden in July.
In September  I will be  applying  for ROTP MARS.
I am assuming I will have to start everything from scratch IE Reg Force BMQ ,
Will my time in the Reserves count for anything ? I will have 2 yrs on change over

If you are going officer it changs things abit. I may be rusty but my son just went CT to reg.  Your continuous time like BMQ and NETP or even call out for Queens guard counts as straight time.  Your annual reserve trg at home is a percentage and will be calculated.  This as an NCM or OR would count towards your increments and pension.  But as an officer maybe only for TI (time in). 

Well, CBI 204 outlines how this might affect your pay. Basically, if you manage to make LS before your CT and appointment to Naval Cadet, you should be able to keep getting paid at the LS rate while in school. As well, it'll affect things like time in calculations with regards to getting your CD, when you hit "five years" in so you get that extra 5 days of leave earlier than the rest of your classmates.

As for courses, yes, you'll have to retake them. You'll have to do the Reg Force BMOQ (The "O" does make it a slightly different beast), you'll have to do NETP-O instead of NETP, and then you'll start your MARS courses.

Thank You
I'm not sure  BMQ and 1 day a week & 1 Saturday a month will get me to LS , but I can try
Plus next Summer of course
Will my 2 yrs Reserve make any difference to my pay in ROPT if I am still OS or AS
I understand ROPT pay is approx $14000 per yr

westcoastboy said:
Thank You
I'm not sure  BMQ and 1 day a week & 1 Saturday a month will get me to LS , but I can try
Plus next Summer of course
Will my 2 yrs Reserve make any difference to my pay in ROPT if I am still OS or AS
I understand ROPT pay is approx $14000 per yr

It will make a big difference, I had a similar situation. You will be put on the AS pay scale, which is a lot more than the average NCdt makes.

At least this is how it worked out for me.

I remember the days when I had the same goals to join as a Reg Force MARS officer when I was 17. Unfortunately, my discriminatory instructors (French speaking, college hating, reserve haters) back in 1998 in St. Jean screwed that all up for me. NAVRES made the best move in history to ditch the worst component in CF history CFLRS St. Jean and start their own basic training course. However the imaginary dust cost me my dreams, my confidence and self worth.

PS its ROTP not ROPT. Reserve officers are not the greatest at PT.  ;D

Back