• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Supply Tech Element Question.

OS Rucchin

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello I'm new here. Ive been in the navy for 1 year now and I think I'm gonna do a OT to Supply Tech. I am not sure of what trade to pick tho. My question is as followed, Would training be the same for a Supply Tech in every element or would a Naval supply tech have different qualifications then an Army supply tech?

Thanks!

Nope.  Supply is a "purple" trade and as such, the main training is all the same.  If you get posted to a base/ship of whatever element (Army, Navy, Air Force), there may be additional training.

So, you're going to OT to Supply but you're not sure what trade to pick?  Or did you mean do a CT and not sure which element you want?

Is a Component transfer not to switch your component to Regforce or Reserve? I thought you could  change your trade AND element with an OT.

OT is an Occupational Transfer.  CT is a Component Transfer from Res to Regs (or the other way).  Changing both trade and from Res to Reg may be difficult.  It all depends on openings, etc.

OS Rucchin said:
But you can switch your element AND trade with an OT correct?

Normaly, members doing an OT to a purple trade will retain their current environment.

CDN Aviator said:
Normaly, members doing an OT to a purple trade will retain their current environment.

Would that effect my chances at Getting a posting as soon as im qualified on an army base If im navy? I have an army base and naval unit in my city, London Ontario.

You are confusing several things....

If i understand correctly, you are a naval reservist right ?

OS Rucchin said:
Reserves.

Ok well, you were talking about bases and postings so it was hard to make out what you were talking about.

Ill try to explain a little better.

Im going to stay as a reservist but I want a trade that I dont have to go across canada to work at sea. Supply tech seems to fit into my needs. what would really work out for me is a Posting working as supply IN my city. I was curious if I was navy would I be able to work at the army base? vise versa

OS Rucchin said:
me is a Posting working as supply IN my city.

Transfer to another reserve unit that employs supply techs. That is not a "posting".

I was curious if I was navy would I be able to work at the army base? vise versa

A supply tech is a supply tech is a supply tech. Last time i looked there is no more "base" in London, Ontario.

A supply tech is a supply tech is a supply tech. Last time i looked there is no more "base" in London, Ontario.
[/quote]

we have an area support unit I guess you'de call it.

OS Rucchin said:
we have an area support unit I guess you'de call it.

I suggest you talk to your chain of command and also the recruiter for the unit you intend to transfer to.

I'm sorry but i have to ask :

If you dont want to go to the coasts to work, why did you join the Naval reserves....in a hard sea trade to boot......?

The Naval Reserve QL3 for Supply Tech is the same as the Reg Force course.

If you try to get a long term Class B (ie  > 12 mo) contract at the ASU, there is a good chance that Naval Reserve will force you to transfer units to the NDHQ Primary Reserve List.  You could keep wearing the Navy uniform if you chose.

Hey there,

Just so you know Naval Reserve SupTechs seldom to never see any sea time. There are 0 (zero) positions for the trade on the MCDVs. This was my big reason for leaving Nav Res in the late 90s. It has been known to happen that a frigate or what have you will take on one for a trip but those opportunities are few and far between.

Landing a long term contract has become harder from what I have read. Normally and NRD will carry 1 (one) full time reserve sup tech but if I remember my time in the reserves well enough RMS Clerks seemed to have no end to the long term Class B call outs as there were usually 2-4, full time, in the ships office augmented with a reg force WO or Sgt.

Hope that helps a little.

Back