• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves application question

jasonubc

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently a first year student at UBC and I am applying for inf. officer in the reserves, namely the Seaforth highlanders. It has been recommended to me that I consider starting off as a troop (private) first, and then think about officer after a couple years. The reasons for this are to make the officer training a little less extreme and to be sure that I know what I'm doing if I make officer later on. Any thoughts on this? Will experience as a private help an officer that much, especially in a reserve unit? Personally I'm favouring switching my application to soldier...
Thanks
JM

many people share the opinion that it is best to spend time in the ranks (as an NCM) BEFORE coming an officer rather than starting out as an officer

spending time as an NCM prior to becoming an officer gives you experience. as an officer you are expected to be of the highest standard, and spending time in the ranks allows you to get used to army life and gives you the experience you need. going straight in as an officer, not being used to army life, is not the best idea. go for NCM first, and then go for your commission.

Hmm, good point. It looks like I'll be doing the training in stages anyways, with the BMQ, Soldier Qualification and what not first, officer training later. The other thing is that I'm thinking of going for reg. force as an officer once I'm done at school, and officer experience prior to that would probably be more valuable than that of a private...Thanks for your thoughts.
JM

Hey.....Im just wondering if anyone has any pointers on getting ready for the medical and bmq for reserve force. I just got the call today to book my medical and all that.

Back