• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves to regular force

Oscarp1234

Reaction score
I am currently applying to join the reserves as I am a grade 12 high school student and it seems like a good part time job, but I also want to join the regular force once I am done with high school. Should I continue my application to the reserves or should I wait until around may to submit my application to the regular forces as I’ve heard switching from reserves to regular force takes a lot longer then starting an application from scratch.

Your application whether for the Regular Force or Reserve Force will take several months. Training for the reserves traditionally happens in the summer, so if you're applying to join the Reserves right now, you might be able to do a weekend BMQ this fall / spring (for the Army Reserves & HS Reserves). At that time if you're wanting to switch from the Reserves to the Regular Force you'd put in a request for Component Transfer. Time frame on how long a CT takes may vary depending on the occupation you are wanting to join and how fast your unit is at the paperwork.

Your application whether for the Regular Force or Reserve Force will take several months. Training for the reserves traditionally happens in the summer, so if you're applying to join the Reserves right now, you might be able to do a weekend BMQ this fall / spring (for the Army Reserves & HS Reserves). At that time if you're wanting to switch from the Reserves to the Regular Force you'd put in a request for Component Transfer. Time frame on how long a CT takes may vary depending on the occupation you are wanting to join and how fast your unit is at the paperwork.
Okay, I want to join either infantry or armoured in the regular force do you think it would be wise to just wait till I’m done my second semester (January is when it ends) and apply for the regular force then instead of going going to reserves

Ultimately it's up to you - you might wait to apply and not even get accepted into the Regular Force; meanwhile you could have been doing your training with the Reserves through the fall/spring and then do your occupation course next summer. But on the flip side you might not get into a reserve unit this fall in time to do BMQ and then you'll be applying to go Regular Force next spring with no training.

However if I was in your shoes I'd probably apply to the Reserves, you don't know what next spring is going to bring. But there could be others here that would say they would personally wait. This is where the decision is yours to make.

Edit Note: Just make sure to be honest that your long term goal is to go Regular Force; this way it's not a surprise to the unit that you request a Component Transfer next spring (or further down the road).

Back