• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2008 - Limbo for a year?

trentonmilwife said:
Since the first round of acceptances seem to have made their way to some applicants now and there seems to be enough of us who are a bit surprised (maybe shocked or for those who wanted one last summer off, happy) about how we won't be doing IAP this summer and instead will just get sworn in in August, do a year of school and then head off to St Jean next May for BMOQ (btw does anyone know when this name was put in place, I still remember IAP+BOTP/BOTC).

Now for those of you going to RMC, this might not seem so bad, as in Sept you will have your Orientation, get your kit, learn the rules, drills, PT etc. But for those of us who are at Civi-U what are we supposed to do???

For example, we will all be de-regulated from our provincial health systems, but won't have an id card to go to sick parade (which if i wasnt already living on an a base, how on earth would i know what MIR was???). I will have to go in Civi's since I won't have any kit or uniform. I will have fun explaining to the base gym that i'm a member just don't have much proof and god forbid I forget where and when I am to salute (lucky for me, my husband's unit have all sat there jokingly told me that I don't need to salute them and that will "take it easy" on me until I have my basic course to learn the ins and outs)

Then to make matters worse, some CFRCs managed to get their 3rd year ROTP applicants on a BMOQ course this summer, while others said that no that wasn't possible and that it didn't matter if you were a 3rd or 1st year student, you all had to wait until next summer. Where is the consistency???

For an organization that is desperate to get bodies in, why the limbo for the first year??? Also why pay for a years salary and tuition if someone can't pass basis...this just doesn't make any sense!

Is there anywhere those of us who got told to sit tight for 14 months can go to make sure we don't look like morons next summer beside those who got the training all school year? (and please no "well you should've gone to RMC" jokes as its not always an option for everyone)

Uhmmm you're way off.

You will be assigned a ULO (University Liaison Officer) as a Civ U member of the CF. Your ULO will be stationed at the nearest support base to you. If there's no Base, they will be at a CF Detachment that your will deal with. (I just spent 18 months as the ULO for CivU pers in the Province of PEI -- Holland College/UPEI etc).

YOU WILL get issued a temporay CF ID card and will be photographed, fingerprinted etc for an NDI20 CF Permanent ID card. This application will be sent in on your behalf by your support Unit (we could process NDI20s at our Det ... OR staff did the fingerprinting and everything). That support Unit will also be the one handling your claims ... for books, tuition fees etc etc. They will also be handling all of your leave passes, LTA claims and everything else.

That ULO and the support Unit will also arrange to issue you your clothing and will order your DEU from Logistik Unicorp on your behalf. But, heck .. if you want to actually wear your uniform to class at CivU ... fill your boots. Those at UPEI certainly did not, nor did they when they came into the Det to see me or the OR ... they just didn't wear jeans etc.

Your temp ID will allow you to use the gym facilities at the Base. For those not close to a base with gym facilities ... most CivUs have them as part and parcel of being a student there -- go figure. As well, outlying CivU students are eligible to have memberships to a local gym bought and paid for by the Crown. This was the case in PEI where there is no Base, I purchased gym memberships for all RegF, ResF Class B, and all CivU students in the Province.

As for medical -- you would now be a member of the CF, and would be treated by the BHosp nearest you. If outlying with no BHosp facilities, as was our case in PEI, there will be a civilian health practitioner contracted to look after you. This will also be done and arranged by your ULO and your supporting Det/Unit if required.

In short --- all of the problems and concerns that you have mentioned above -- DO NOT exist.

In August, when you get sworn in -- your ULO will be assigned to you and then you will be given all the info that you require.

You are not even enrolled yet. Relax.

For the Express Test -- your ULO will arrange to have you tested and will notify you of it's date/timing. CivU or not, you will be tested --- this has always been the case, as exemptions from testing due to being CivU have always been few and far between.

As to "reporting for work" ... you will enjoy your Chrsitmas leave and your March break with all the other students at your Uni, but, come May when Schools out -- you will most certainly be expected to report for duty each day. Where and to whom you will report for duty will be decided at higher levels and you will be advised. In short, during the summer -- if you aren't on course, you'll be working somewhere. That's part & parcel of receiving that paycheck (you will be allowed to take annual leave though just like everyone else).

Vern

CDN Aviator said:
Well now, you see, the next question for the CFRC would have been "To whom do i adress these questions then ?"

And, if I were the CFRC I'd be saying "in August, when you are sworn in and actually ARE a member of the CF ... those names and contact numbers will be revealed to you."

Simply, the CF is NOT going to release names, locals, contact numbers for pers outside of CFRCs to any pers who are not even sworn in yet.

Answering those questions now for those who are going to CivU and not being sworn in until August is akin to a troop who is complaining that:

"I'm being sworn in in August and going to BMQ in Sept, but the CF hasn't told me who my instructor will be!! How fucked is that?? What a crappy system!!"

Sometimes, I just have to wonder what the heck people expect. Really I do.  :-\

Vern, just because you're the supply goddess, and you've weighed in on this thread, and I believe (/hope) this is relevant enough, here goes...

I'm currently PRes.  I'm going to be working a summer tasking (of some sort), and then sign my RegF contract as a CivvyU ROTP bloke in August.  I'm planning on parading with a local reserve unit, with the blessing of my ULO (I'm told I'll get it because I've been getting good marks doing the same thing with the PRes) - therefore I will need uniforms and kit. In the past I've seen members who CT'd and were forced to return ALL of their kit, only to have it re-issued the next day.  I suppose they might also have me return all of my kit, until I "need" it next summer for BMOQ - although I plan on needing it immediately.

Is there a way (that you know of) for me to skirt this seemingly pointless process?  Maybe through simply changing over my scale of issue, or somesuch thing?  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

yea i will love to hear an answer, cause i am also on planning to CT and i always wonder if i get to keep my kits. After a while you really feel attach to you kits LOL

checkmate_ca said:
yea i will love to hear an answer, cause i am also on planning to CT and i always wonder if i get to keep my kits. After a while you really feel attach to you kits LOL

...your KIT. You only have one KIT.

You're planning on CT'ing? How long have you been in the military?

checkmate_ca said:

You're CTing via ROTP?  Please brush up on your grammar and spelling before accepting any offers, for the CF's sake.

Back