• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running at BMQ. Do they time you?

• Thread starter Thread starter rormson
  • Start date Start date
R

rormson

Can anyone who has finished or who is currently is completing BMQ describe the running routine and whether or not you are timed? I'm assuming that the key objective is to keep up to the team and to finish the prescribed distances, but are there any time/distance targets set out? (This question pertains to weekend BMQ for PRes and not Reg Force.)

Thanks.

:cdn:

If you are going to be going to the Reg force BMQ in St-Jean, then they will not be timing you.   What they do is they let you run for a certain amount of time.   At first they start you out at 15 or 20 mins., then gradually work up by 5 minute increments.   They tell you in that time how many laps of this small indoor track one should complete in that time.   The amount of laps that you complete are not recorded anywhere.   They do not time you on a 2.4km run.  

Just like what the sheet says.... You should be able to run 5KM... If you can do that or even 4KM  you got nothing to worrie about.

Sundborg said:
They tell you in that time how many laps of this small indoor track one should complete in that time.

A bit out of the topic question, Sundborg:
If the track is indoor, what do we need 2 pairs of running shoes for (they say one for indoor and one for outdoor)?

Thanks a lot!

More specifically, how frequently do they bump up the running time?

eg.
Week 1 - 15min
Week 2 - 20min
Week 3 - 25min??

If you wish, you can bring your own running shoes there from home.  You will be issued a pair of runners there anyway, so it's always good to bring an extra so you have two.  When you do PT, you have the option of wearing either pair.  We never did PT outside, but I did my BMQ from Feb to April, so I don't know if it's just a seasonal thing.

WRT the increase in time, you wont be doing it every week and end up running for an hour or anything like that.  You may not even do a timed run until the 3rd week, but I can't quite recall when we started.  But anyhow, they may start at either 15 or 20 minutes, and work there way up to 35 I think.  So in total you do about 3 or 4 runs.

It's really that straightforward? I mean, I heard there are daily runs first thing in the morning!

No.

Actually you're gonna feel silly about all the running talk. I know I did.

Thats true. I was in good shape and had no problems because I concentrated so much on my running.

Would they issue trackpants/shorts as well or do u bring your own?

Civilian said:
Would they issue trackpants/shorts as well or do u bring your own?

They issue you a "Sweatpants/hoody" combo there, but You wont wear it during PT.  Don't bother bringing your own track pants and stuff like that, you will end up wearing your issued PT shorts anyway, and t-shirt.

In reality, there is no real PT standardization for BMQ.  It is generally left up to the Platoon Commander or the training OC.  When my recruits arrive for BMQ, they will be doing a 2400m timed run.  When they finish BMQ, they will do another 2400m timed run.  No one will fail for PT, as there is no PT standard, but timing the troops will show them how they have improved over the course.  The same goes for pushups, situps, and chinups. 

YoungOfficer said:
In reality, there is no real PT standardization for BMQ.   It is generally left up to the Platoon Commander or the training OC.   When my recruits arrive for BMQ, they will be doing a 2400m timed run.   When they finish BMQ, they will do another 2400m timed run.   No one will fail for PT, as there is no PT standard, but timing the troops will show them how they have improved over the course.   The same goes for pushups, situps, and chinups.  
Are you serious?  People DO fail BMQ and get recoursed due to failing to make a standard level of fitness.  I had a couple of people on my course who were in that situation.  I don't know if you are referring to Reserves or not, but if you are working at St-Jean as one of the instructors, let me know; maybe it is all just threats that they give us.

Well im just starting my third week here at Saint-jean of BMQ.  I can tell you a bit about the running.  Like someone else said, they will issue you a pair of runners regardless of what you bring, for myself I found them to be clunky and poor for running.  But whatever works right?

As for PT kit,  you get issue two pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of pt t-shirts, 1 pt long shirt/pant and thats it for pt kit.  Depending on your staff you may or may not have to wear the issued shoes until the end of indoc (4th week).  As far as my platoon was concerned (R0153E) we had hardly anything to do with physical activity the first week other then what you did with your own initiative.  The first week mainly comprised of paper work, sorting out the issued kit some classes and getting used to the swing of things.  The second week however is when you do both the swim test and then later the PT test.  Swim test was fairly easy for me, I'm a strong swimmer  but some people just weren't cut out for it.  One of the guys in my Platoon failed it once and then in the 6th week of his BMQ had enough directives to get recoursed.  So he ended up starting it all over again with my platoon, and a second time he failed the swimming test - just goes to show some people dont have the right stuff to pass it.  As for the PT test, they had us come in warm up/stretch.  Then they had us do the shuttle run - none of its timed.  Though I suggest if you get a chance first to watch others do the PT test first to get the timing down pat.  You have to make it to the 6th stage for guys under 20,  and 10.5 for the incentive.  I stopped at 11 because no one else was running - it was kind of funny because the padre came up to me afterwards and was like, "Why did you stop running?  you were so good! you should have kept going!"  The padre here is hilarious, the guy is the best.

This monday, the start of the 3rd week for me we have a run in the morning for 5am, and for now on 3 times a week we will be having 5am runs.  And as for the indoor track, we haven't used it yet, our platoon WO ran with us for our first time the other day, and ended up shouting at us at the end of the day because only a small handful of us could keep up.  I must admit, my platoon is more then out of shape, 15 people out of 58 failed the PT test.  As for how long you run?  well that depends mostly on your instructors pace.  They tend to aim for 2.5 k's for the second week, the third they want 3 to 4k's, fifth they want 5 to 6, and eventually they want us to be running 8k's.  For me, even the 8ks isn't a problem, but in my platoon there are only 6 other guys who can run that.

Few pieces of advice:  1)  Always make sure your locker and kit is secured - if not you'll get a directive.  2)  Always have your canteen with you - if not, you'll get a directive.  3)  Whenever your going to the drill hall, bring along your rain gear - if not, you can get a directive.  4)  Learn to keep your opinion to yourself at times, the first two weeks everyone in the platoon is shouting "We have to work as a team guys!" and everyones too busy trying to get everyone else to work as a team to realize that the course senior and the section seniors are the leaders.  5) Always listen to course seniors/section seniors, you'll be one at some point and you'll enjoy it a lot more if people listen to you.  Not to mention, its written in the Student Standing Orders that the seniors are a part of the chain of command, and therefore they are in control in the absence of staff.  Ergo, disobeying them can get you a directive.  6)  See if you can get here early, like a day or so, that way you get an opportunity to go to the canex and pick up some spare equipment and any other necessities you may have forgotten.  Believe me, the first week everyone will be scrambling for this that and the other thing.

What else can I say?  Really there is so much its hard to write it all down here.  The best thing you can do really is to give it your all.  As my Mcpl keeps saying, "Put some drive in your body!" 

Oh and one other word of advice, if your anglophone, be ware, 90% of the instructors here are franco and have a thick accent.  Its easy to understand in class, but in the drill hall when they are hollaring out the words of command and you can't understand what it is they are saying you will find yourself unable to immediately react and perform the action required - hence you get b*tched at for it.  There is a short PO here who can really lay in on you, and believe me, its not fun being on the recieving end.

Best of Luck!

:salute:

Nobody wears the running shoes that are issued because they're crap.  Even the instructors said so.  SO bring your own!  I believe right now, there's still a retest for everything if you fail the 1st time.  But if you fail the 2nd time, you're released (used to be recoursed, but not anymore). 

The short PO?  Yeah, I know who you mean.  I think he's a pretty good instructor, but a lot of people think otherwise...Hey, Thaedes, who are your section commanders?

As for running, if you're running on the track outside, mostly you go at your own pace and if you can't finish 6km or whatever in 20 min...oh well, just try harder next time. 

Greywolf

Just to clarify your statement a bit more, if a recruit fails a a 2nd attempt at the fitness test in BMQ,
the recruit is NOT automatically released.  The issue goes to a Board and they decide an action. 

We had a recuit on our course that acquired tendonitis of the elbow and couldn't perform push-ups.  He
was recoursed and not released.  They look at the record of the recuit and the medical situation. 

Well, yeah, I guess so.  They do look at the individual situation and if say for the PT test, somebody failed due to injuries, then probably they won't be released, but will be given time to recover (and get recoursed).  BUt say for the weapons test, if you fail the 2nd time, you get released (I was told by the PO just 3 weeks ago when I was in Farnham).  The rules have just changed and come into effect. 

I'm talking about a reserve BMQ, which we're running in Chilliwack right now.  And no one fails for poor PT performance in reserve BMQ.  As I said, we don't even have the shuttle run PT test.  The test we are going to do for my course is only to see how people improve as the course progresses.  I know some people failed on my CAP(R) course for PT failure, so I'm not sure why some Reservists are evaluated for PT and some are not. 

Back