• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Secret commandos accidentally detained at Tim Hortons

Good2Golf said:
Rehash of old news.  I'd rather LE follow-up on a concern (generally, no matter where it came from...habitual "criers of wolf" excepted), than the opposite occur.  If all's above board and everyone is cool about the process to verify that it is, the result would be a confirmation of who is who, and all would carry on afterwards - no harm, no foul.  Until some folks have gone on a few ride-alongs to understand the stress of the unknown for LEOs on patrol, questions as to LEO conduct in such situations shouldn't doubt the concern for safety of citizens and fellow officers.  Nor should the members need to take offence to the officers conducting the take-down - nothing personal that I would see there...until confirmed, the LEOs can't confirm the situation.

I would be interested to know, however, (as the article didn't mention it) if the police ran the vehicle's plate prior to effecting the detention portion of the high-risk take down?  The article says the members were hand-cuffed during the process - not sure if they really were, but the results of running the plate would definitely provide information that would potentially influence how the LEO I/C might conduct the take-down within established SOPs.

Having done more than a few ride-alongs with OPP and RCMP, I would never be in the slightest offended if I ever found myself temporarily kissing pavement for whatever reason...there's a frack-load more stress on the officer than there ever would be on the detainee, IMO.

Regards
G2G

Is it possible that they, like CJIRU, use normal plates?

Container said:
Is it possible that they, like CJIRU, use normal plates?

That's possible (and all I'll say about that).  In any case, I doubt the RO's name would come back as "JTF-2".  The vehicle would show as registered to "Goverment of Canada" or Department of National Defence".

Haggis said:
That's possible (and all I'll say about that).  In any case, I doubt the RO's name would come back as "JTF-2".  The vehicle would show as registered to "Goverment of Canada" or Department of National Defence".

They would run the plates and have a notice to "contact the Dispatcher".  The Dispatcher would likely have all the info that they would need to know.

George Wallace said:
They would run the plates and have a notice to "contact the Dispatcher".  The Dispatcher would likely have all the info that they would need to know.

Which, if the SOP was followed, would have resulted in a completely different outcome, I'm sure.

Maybe there was a firefight using silenced weapons or a hostage incident that occured that was subsequently covered up  - just like they faked the moon landings......

::)

I think this is a non event.  Everyone was doing their jobs.  There was no confrontation.  People were ID'd and then everyone went on their merry way.  An oversight was made by someone and corrections to operations have been made.  S*** happens.  Corrections are made.  Too easy.

Back